Minority Status Help in PA admissions?

Welcome to the Forum. For the past 16 years minority enrollment has hovered around 22%. I checked past reports. Sorry for my previous statement of 21%. http://www.paeaonline.org/index.php?...ction/i/131176 see page 9 for last CASPA data. There are about 20 programs that have historically had minority enrollment > than the national ave. Programs in NY, Maryland, DC, NC, Fla, Ill, Texas, Washington and California tend to have higher enrollment due to greater numbers of minority applicants or mission statements addressing increasing diversity in the workforce. There are two programs located in HBCUs ( Howard & University of Maryland Eastern Shore) and several housed in institutions that that would be considered HSIs (mostly in Fla, Texas and California). Sophie Davis in Harlem, Miami Dade and Cook County in Chicago have been graduating a largest % of minority students per class I think. The non MS programs tend to have higher minority enrollment than the MS programs. Medex, GW, Duke, USC, Pacific, Baylor, Utah, UT Pan American, Stanford are programs that have been successful matriculating minorities or mission driven to having a diverse class. There are others but these have a long history. IMHO the PA profession's efforts are as aggressive as Medicine's. The national education organizations work together. PAEA works with AAMC , NAMME, NMA on issues of best practices in admissions of students. Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

LesH

• 6 years later...
On 12/24/2011 at 11:16 AM, chiaroscuro27 said:

This absolutely depends on the program. Do some research and you will find there are a handful of PA programs where minority students make up the majority of the class. Here's a hint: start your search in NY.

More than a handful for sure...nearly four handfuls...

On 12/25/2011 at 12:22 PM, LESH said:

Welcome to the Forum. For the past 16 years minority enrollment has hovered around 22%. I checked past reports. Sorry for my previous statement of 21%. http://www.paeaonline.org/index.php?...ction/i/131176 see page 9 for last CASPA data. There are about 20 programs that have historically had minority enrollment > than the national ave. Programs in NY, Maryland, DC, NC, Fla, Ill, Texas, Washington and California tend to have higher enrollment due to greater numbers of minority applicants or mission statements addressing increasing diversity in the workforce. There are two programs located in HBCUs ( Howard & University of Maryland Eastern Shore) and several housed in institutions that that would be considered HSIs (mostly in Fla, Texas and California). Sophie Davis in Harlem, Miami Dade and Cook County in Chicago have been graduating a largest % of minority students per class I think. The non MS programs tend to have higher minority enrollment than the MS programs. Medex, GW, Duke, USC, Pacific, Baylor, Utah, UT Pan American, Stanford are programs that have been successful matriculating minorities or mission driven to having a diverse class. There are others but these have a long history. IMHO the PA profession's efforts are as aggressive as Medicine's. The national education organizations work together. PAEA works with AAMC , NAMME, NMA on issues of best practices in admissions of students. Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

LesH

Interesting, thank you for this post. 

On 12/25/2011 at 1:02 AM, calad said:

Sophie Davis I believe is very big on policies such as these

100% PANCE pass rate...not bad for a majority minority program...many can't boast the same!

https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/csom/physician-assistant-program

But living in NYC is a factor many don't want to deal with (cost of living, culture clashes etc)

Archived