What should I improve for next cycle?

So out of the 14 programs I have applied to I have gotten 8 rejections, one of them being after I was interviewed. I realize that its probably not going to turn out that much better with the remaining programs. So I was wondering what could be improved in my application, here are my stats

3.3 GPA

3.3 Science (took many of the recommended courses such as biochemistry, molecular biology, cellular biology, developmental Psyc, Abnormal psyc, ect)

Unofficial GRE: 160V 164 Q

3000 hrs Home Heath Aide (most programs consider this as patient experience)

68 hrs ER Scribe

200 hrs ER Volunteer

20+hrs Shadowing (Intensive Radiology, Emergency, OR, pediatrics, ICU, Neurology)

Graduated recently with a BS in Chemistry with Biochem Concentration.

I know I definitely could improve my GPA. I also submitted my application at the end of August, so I probably want to apply as early as I can in the next cycle. What else would you guys recommend? Are community college courses really looked down on?

Definitely apply earlier. 

Increase your scribe hours or pursue another position like CNA in a hospital setting. You could also improve your GPA but given the fact you already received your B.S., a class or two will do little to no improvement on your GPA. 

Yeah, I definitely might look into getting certified to do CNA or pursue being a scribe. I wish I knew the best path to a PA when I was in high school, being a first generation immigrant, I didn't know about all the avenues that are available. If I had to do it over again I would definitely get a degree that allowed me to work in a hospital. 

Yeah, I definitely might look into getting certified to do CNA or pursue being a scribe. I wish I knew the best path to a PA when I was in high school, being a first generation immigrant, I didn't know about all the avenues that are available. If I had to do it over again I would definitely get a degree that allowed me to work in a hospital. 

I sympathize with you! It's all a learning experience. 

• Administrator

Q: What should I improve?

A: Everything you can!

Start working on the next year's CASPA as soon as this year's is submitted!  More HCE, better GPA, volunteering, shadowing, etc.  ANYTHING you can to make it better? Go do it now!  So, by the time CASPA opens, you've got a ton of new/better stuff to put in, so you can apply early, broadly, and go kick some butt. :-)

Archived