Too late?

I am a veteran and took A&P 1 with lab online while on active duty, and I figured that I would take A&P2 with lab online as well and be done with that, but I just found out that there are schools that do not accept online labs. So now I am having to take A&P 1 and 2 during the summer session after the spring that I graduate. I was planning on applying as soon as I graduate in May, but now I won't be able to apply until I finish the A&P courses in the second week of August. Will applying in the second week of August be considered applying late in the cycle? I'm super bummed about this, my stats are decent, but I was really trying to get the advantage of applying early. Would it be worth it to apply mid August or should I wait until the next cycle to apply? ANY thoughts, opinions, help will be greatly appreciated. All of my other science and lab prerequisites were completed in person. Thanks for the help!

I heard applying after July is considered "late" but then again, it depends on whether or not the program is based on rolling admissions. 

Your best bet would be to get in contact with the schools you are interested in and see if they permit in progress courses. If yes, you can submit early and update your CASPA application when you complete said course(s).

I applied with A and P 2 in progress. Took it in the fall. I had 7/9 interview invites. The two schools which did not contact me were due to that pre req not being completed. They didn't state it on their website. My advice would be to call and contact them directly to see what their protocol is for in progress coursework.

My application was submitted early August and verified by around 8/20 and I still received several interviews. It depends on the school and your stats. Some schools do really early interviews such as Touro Nevada and ATSU. Touro Nevada didnt even look at my application because it was too "late". You should go to PA school forums and look up the previous application cycle threads to see when interviews are handed out in the previous cycle. This will give you an idea if you still have a chance at the school even though you applied in august. You can also call the schools directly, but they always give you the BS "We're on a rolling admission and it's still possible blah blah blah" so I don't think that's as helpful. Best of luck! 

I applied in June my cycle with classes in progress or pending and it didn't hurt me ( I don't think).  Make sure the schools you're applying to allow courses in progress - most allow up to 2 - and apply early!  Once your courses are complete you can update CASPA and the schools with your grades.

I would say that having 2 important pre-reqs in process *might* be a little set back, but since you'll have your online A&P 1 grades in your file, schools should get a good idea of what you're capable of in that area.

If you choose to wait until August your chances will vary based on the school.  There are some programs that don't start looking at apps until their deadline (supposedly) and others that look may look at early apps and have 1-2 interview sessions before the deadline but do a majority of the review/interviews after their deadlines.  Any school with rolling admissions could be a longer shot.  It just depends on the programs you're interested in.

I applied in August while I was taking one class, then took 2 more in the fall (so technically I had 3 outstanding grades), I got interviews at 2 of 4 and was accepted to 1. All it takes is 1! :) If your GPA and experience are solid, one outstanding grade and an August app date should not be an issue at (most) schools. That being said I would definitely apply to more schools than I did and contact them directly before you waste $$.

Thank you all for all of the help! There is nothing that I can do about having to take to courses over the summer, but having been active duty and then finishing school I definitely don't want to have to wait another application cycle. I'll just be turning 28 at the time of application and and feel like time is ticking away! I will absolutely be looking at the various schools that do not have a rolling admission and allow in progress courses.

Cop to PA:

I was Navy for 5 years as a Corpsman.

-EMT-B

-Medical Assistant

all together by the time I graduate I will have 9 years of HCE

...GPA is just average right now, but I'm studying for the GRE and hoping to kill it. Hopefully the HCE will help out.

Consider looking at the programs in CASPA that take your SMART during the secondary, so they can see you already have A&P credits.  They may not take them as prereqs, but the schools will see that you've don it before.  Knock it out best you can, but from one Corpsman to another, try to save as much GI Bill money as you can.

Archived