Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about this:

I'm currently pursuing an undergrad degree. Actually, I'm transferring to a school to finish my degree and I'm trying to figure out what I should major in. I would like to eventually become a PA but some of the schools I'm considering don't have pre-professional programs. I'm particularly interested in Loyola University Chicago. I've read that sometimes it's even more desirable to get a degree thats not a pre-professsional one, because it shows you have interests and strengths in other disciplines that can still be used in a medical setting.

My go-to is psychology because it's something I've been interested in awhile. However, I was looking into Loyolas requirements for their forensic science degree because thats also something thats interested me longer than psychology. I feel like it seems a little random if my end goal is to apply to PA schools, but it seems like a lot of the courses I'd be taking (and have already taken) for this degree could be related to and useful when I do go through PA school. For instance: human osteology, biostats, genetics, cell physiology, chem (gen, org and inorg), physics, calc, forensic toxicology etc..

https://lucweb.luc.edu/advsmt/index.cfm#Program

My point is that some of these classes cross over into requirements for some of the PA programs I've looked into but also, I feel like this kind of degree would be more useful for myself in the event that I decided to take time off before applying to PA schools or if I (for whatever reason) decided to change my career track, I'd still have a degree that would be applicable to a profession that I'm interested in. Of course, psychology is also another safer option but forensic science would at least have more classes that would eventually help me while pursuing a PA degree.

Any thoughts on this? Is there anyone out there that has a degree in Forensic Science and can give some insight? Sorry for the lengthy post, I'd just really like to know if I'm on a good track here or if there are major holes in my plan that I'm overlooking!!

Thanks!

The coursework sounds good.  I have heard that forensics is tricky to find work in so you would want to be prepared to move nationally to where the job is.

It's not a bad plan as far as PA programs (All that matters is that you meet the requirements), just make sure to check and see if this degree is something you can actually get a job with, particularly around where you live.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By zgotham1
      Hello All, 

I hope you are doing well. I was just curious if anyone has run into the same issue with shadowing that i am in currently. So, unfortunately I dont have the connections to other PAs like some people do, so this leads to having to go above and beyond to try to find PAs to shadow. I finally found one that is willing to take me on that doesn't currently have PA students with them (I go to Gannon University and I live close to Mercyhurst University, which both have PA programs), however, they want me to pay $50 per shadowing visit. I have never heard of anything like this before. Is this normal to pay $50/per shadow experience? Or is this just a UPMC thing. Is it worth it? Or should i keep trying to find other facilities that dont require such. 

- Zach 
    • By TessL
      I'm thinking of finishing my BS as a chemistry major. Is there any benefit for this as a Dermatologist PA? Any info is helpful, thank you!
    • By aspirationalaf
      Hi! This fall I will commence my undergraduate studies at SUNY Cortland and I'm pretty concerned with being prepared for applying to PA programs, especially in regards to obtaining direct patient care hours. I was doing research and there are programs in which their accepted candidates average or will have even have more than 4,000 hours. This is quite the daunting task considering I plan to be a full-time student over the next four years.
      As of now, I plan on being involved in the campus EMS squad where I will receive training and will be required to serve a minimum of two 12-hour shifts per semester. However, I will aim to serve at least 1 of these shifts every week. Do these volunteer hours count as direct patient care hours? Additionally, the squad will pay for my EMT-B training throughout this upcoming year's spring semester if I agree to volunteer for them for the two semesters of my sophomore year. Thus, I will be able to at least volunteer as an EMT-B over the next few summers as well.
      Cortland Regional Medical Center is also a five-minute drive from the university, so I will most likely be able to shadow and volunteer here, but they are not a teaching hospital so they do not often have training experiences.
      So my overarching question is how am I supposed to get the hours I need by the fall of my senior year when application season begins? Will I most likely have to accumulate hours for another year after my undergrad? Furthermore, are there any other positions I can seek to display diversity within the hours I accumulate, and are there any other pieces of advice you can offer me as I begin to plan?
      Thanks for all the help!
    • By demarianw
      I recently graduated with a BA in Linguistics and I'm currently in the process of becoming a certified Spanish medical interpreter. I am intending to begin a surgical technology program within the next year or two. After this program I, obviously, want to work as a surgical technologist for a little while. Ultimately, I would like to be a surgical PA. The surgical technology program I'm considering is at a technical school here in Texas that is accredited by the CAAHEP and certified by the NBSTSA. I know most people probably typically get a BS that's strong in sciences and mathematics, but would my training at the technical school along with the few years of work experience be sufficient to get into a PA program? Or do I need to look into get a BS (or even just an associate's) in some kind of science? Are there any other recommended steps any of you would suggest?
    • By tpinkz
      Hi everyone,
      I am having a bit of a dilemma! I am currently a student at a small community college in Maine. I started in 2015 and got my Associate in Applied Science in Medical Assisting a year ago this past May. I became certified through the AAMA and started working right away. I worked as a float in rheumatology, neurology, family practice, and OMT specialty. All very beneficial to gaining the knowledge I now have. I initially got my MA degree so I could start taking classes towards my bachelors degree and I would also have a job that would get my patient contact hours that I needed to apply to the PA program. I then realized that school was expensive and got the idea I should apply to nursing school since my school already offered the program and it is very affordable ($92 a credit hour- I am able to pay out of pocket!). I just completed my first year of the nursing program and have one year left before getting my RN degree. I like nursing and think that it takes a very special person to be a nurse- it is not easy! When I decided to go for nursing I let go of the PA dream and figured that I could take baby steps and get my NP degree. First my ADN, then BSN, and then NP. I was offered a paid summer nursing intern position at our local hospital. I have been working as a Tech in ER and floating around shadowing different nursing positions. They do this to help recruitment and allow students to see what they might like when they graduate. Often they offer students a per diem Tech position while they finish their last year of nursing school. I have gotten to work side by side with PAs, NPs, MDs, DOs, through this program and my MA work. I now still feel very passionately that I want to become a PA. I like the training that PA's get versus NP's, I do not like online course work that most NP programs offer. My learning style is more lecture, take notes, study those notes! After talking with a recent NP grad I was a little upset to learn they only practiced 2 hours of suturing in her program (her FNP program was live, not online). From what I have heard NP's don't cover a lot of technical training that a PA does. Ideally I would like to work in an acute care setting such as the ER as a midlevel. This leads me to another point, PAs have so much mobility they can go wherever whenever they wish. They don't have to specialize in certain age groups or settings. If I went to be an NP I definitely feel I would have to go to become an Acute Care NP. Down the road if I ever decided I wanted to go into a different specialty I would have to take a post masters certification. I also like that PA's get more experience in different areas during clinical. NP's do have a lot of experience as you must hold a valid RN license and have been an RN for a couple years, but they don't the same clinical experience that a PA does. The nursing model is good, but I don't love nursing everything is theory theory theory. I like the medical model- what it causing the problem and treat it! I feel as a PA you can still be holistic and treat the person as whole like NP schools emphasize. A conversation about diet and exercise with you patient is not going to hurt. Many people have told me that since I am going to be a nurse I should just go the NP route and as great as that could be it doesn't sound right. My opinion is that becoming a nurse will look good as patient experience coupled with my MA and Tech experience. I don't feel like I have wasted time and that I am learning A LOT! My next step is to figure out how to get a bachelors degree for PA school. Most pre-PA programs grant graduates with a biology degree. This is where I am torn- do I get my BSN online in a year or so or do I get a different degree. The online BSN program gives me a lot of versatility in work schedule as a nurse and then I will have to take my bio 1+2, chem 1+2, Organic chem, stats, and a few other pre-reqs for the PA program I am looking at. Or should I try and use both of my associate degrees towards a bachelors and see what degree I can get that would include the pre-reqs, basically skipping the BSN. I feel as though getting a BSN would be a waste of time, but I don't know if my previous classes will count towards any bachelors other than that. I guess then that there is always the question of not getting into PA school, at least I would still be an RN. I could then figure out where to go from there. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all. ? 
      Best,
      Tyler P.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More