Hello,

I am currently finishing up my associate in science and am wondering which undergrad route to take. I was originally planning on working towards a bs in psychology but have recently discovered that my school offers a bachelor's in radiologic technology. This program appeals a bit more, as I feel it will be applicable knowledge for PA school and something to fall back on If I do not get in. I guess my questions are which route would you take and why? Which degree do you think will appeal more to PA programs? Has anyone gone either route and are satisfied? (Cost of both is about the same.) Thank you for your opinion, very much appreciated!

General consensus here is to major in something that a) you like/enjoy and b) gives you a plan B for if you never make it into a PA program. Rad tech would probably be your better option if you think you'll enjoy it and will give you some nice HCE if you practice for a while before applying. PA schools don't care about your major as much as your pre-reqs so as long as you work those in you'll be fine. 

You can have any major, as long as you take the prereqs you need. I would not recommend taking a degree that you think PA programs would like, but rather something that would prepare you for something you would like to do, whether or not you get into PA school. You will be spending a lot of time and money on your degree and it's best viewed as an investment in you.

Hello,

I am currently finishing up my associate in science and am wondering which undergrad route to take. I was originally planning on working towards a bs in psychology but have recently discovered that my school offers a bachelor's in radiologic technology. This program appeals a bit more, as I feel it will be applicable knowledge for PA school and something to fall back on If I do not get in. I guess my questions are which route would you take and why? Which degree do you think will appeal more to PA programs? Has anyone gone either route and are satisfied? (Cost of both is about the same.) Thank you for your opinion, very much appreciated!

You have answered your own question.

• 2 weeks later...

chelseybc just wanted to let you know i would be careful regarding the rad tech right now. I currently work in radiology.....anyway the job market for rad techs appears to be pretty slim...my office currently takes students and they are having difficulty finding work right now...I am in New York, so maybe your area is not so rad tech saturated. but getting a degree in something you cannot find a job in, will not help you get into a pa program.

I'm obviously not anywhere close to that position yet, but when sitting with my advisor, I was offered several choices, most of which I really either didn't like or didn't offer a safety net if I don't make it into PA school. I chose the EMC - paramedic science because it's already something I'm familiar with and I know I can rely on at least a part time position at graduation. 

Congratulations on getting this far and good luck for your next phase!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Rylie
      First, I would like to start off by introducing myself. 
      My name is Rylie Yager and I am a junior in my undergrad at Grand Valley State University. I am majoring in Behavioral Neuroscience, minoring in Psychology and Biology with a pre - PA emphasis. 
      Due to the competitiveness when it comes to admissions in to PA programs, I have been attempting to prepare to become the best possible applicant for when I apply to PA programs next summer (2022). It is stressful and beyond overwhelming - especially being that I am the first member of my family to be attending college, let alone grad school. I've had to figure out everything related to college on my own; from scheduling courses to managing everything that comes along with being a college student whom has to finically support themselves simultaneously. Thus far, I feel like I have been keeping up with the punches that this new journey has thrown my way. Now, I am on a new journey to become a PA - which is terrifying but also exciting. Being that I have been working along my education journey on my own, all I know is from research that I have done myself and contacting facility at my university. But I would like to receive more input and advise that could help me - and I am sure many others - on this journey of becoming a PA. Being how competitive it is to be admitted into a PA program, I am doing all that I can think of to become a worthy applicant - and would love advise from others who are on this journey and those who have surpassed it and are willing to give advise on how to get there. 
      I have listed some of the things that I have done/currently doing to help prepare me for my future in a PA program, and as a PA:
      Work Experience:
      Server in a nursing home
      Receptionist in a nursing home
      Medical technician in a nursing home
      Behavioral neuro technician in an inpatient facility
      Mental health technician in a psychiatrics hospital (current)

Education:
      Overall GPA: 3.678
      Coursework:
      Fall 2021
      BIO 328 SWS Biomedical Ethics
      BIO 376 Genetics Laboratory
      CHM 232 Biological Chemistry
      CHM 232 Biological Chemistry Discussion
      CHM 232 Biological Chemistry Lab
      PSY 300S WS Research Methods in Psych
      367 Health Psychology
      Winter 2022
      AHS 100 Medical Terminology
      BMS 212 Introductory Microbiology (RETAKE)
      213 Laboratory in Microbiology (RETAKE)
      PHY 200 Physics for the Life Sciences
      PSY 400 Advanced Research in Psychology

Previous/Completed
      BIO 121 General Biology II with lab
      BIO 355 Human Genetics
      CHM 231 Introductory Organic Chemistry with lab
      PSY 303 Psychopathology 
      PSY 311 SWS Controversial Issues Psych
      PSY 330 Foundations of Behav Neuroscience
      BMS 212 Introductory Microbiology
      BMS 213 Laboratory in Microbiology
      BMS 251 Anatomy and Physiology II with lab
      PSY 324Developmental Psychopathology
      WRT 219 Creative Writing Workshop 
      CHM 230 Intro to Organic and Biochem with lab
      FIT 125 Performance Weight Training
      HST 102 European Civilizations
      PSY 364 Life Span Developmental Psych
      WRT 150Strategies in Writing
      BMS 250Anatomy and Physiology I with lab
      CHM 109 Introductory Chemistry with lab
      PHI 202 Ethics of Health
      SOC 105 Social Problems
      PSY 101 Introduction to Psychology
      BIO 121 General Biology II

Academic achievements: 
      Deans list
      Writing portfolio utilized by writing department for grading scale

Volunteering:
      Crisis Hotline
      Community Food Bank Grand Rapids 

• By vjaniceb
      Hi there, my name is Vanessa and I just graduated with my bachelor's in February. I am looking to pursue into a PA program but not quite sure where to start. I am currently studying for the GRE and have about 250 internship hours done at an ENT clinic with an audiologist. I'm not sure in what I am doing and need any guidance or suggestion in what to do. 
    • By wildassignment86
      Hi all, 
      I have been accepted into PA school and am starting to have second thoughts. The initial plan was to graduate and specialize in psychiatry. I have an interest in psychology and neurology.  Becoming an MD is out of the question, as I can't move (military family).  I have found one accredited Ph.D. distance program in Clinical Psychology. I have considered going that route but am scared I'll regret not going PA. This time last year, I was thrilled to get an interview.  Is it normal to have cold feet?  Has anyone else made a similar choice? Anyways, thanks for listening. 
    • By Kalebmi20
      Hello PA Forum,
      I am new to the pre-PA path, and I am a bit overwhelmed by the things that need to get done over the next years. I am finishing up my freshman year and have decided that getting into PA school is my goal. After some research I have come to the understanding that I need to have prerequisite courses completed. However, I am very lost on where to start. Some schools require upper level this and lower level that. I dont want to waste any more time then I already have, given that I have been a CS major for my entire first year, so Im very worried about making the wrong choices for next semester. Here is a run down of the classes I've taken as a freshman CS student (I will switch out to another major). Keep in mind I have not taken introductory English courses because of AP college credit. 

1st Sem:
      Bio 101, CPSC 120, POSC 100, Pre-Calculus
      2nd Sem: 
      Geology 101, CPSC 121, Calculus I, HCOM 100

What should I take this summer or in the fall? I would greatly appreciate some guidance. Registration is in a few weeks and I do not have too much time to make a decision on my fall classes. I was thinking of taking a more challenging course over the summer so I could focus on it by itself, and maybe take psychology next semester, but I feel like im missing something like chemistry or anatomy.
    • By Kalebmi20
      Hello PA forum.
      After doing some soul searching, I decided on maybe going for PA school. I am only a 2nd semester freshman. However, due to many circumstances, such as adjusting to online school, and a 1 star professor, my first semester of college was a 2.5. I also was not planning on anything after undergrad so I wasn't totally motivated on acing everything. I am doing my best this semester to make up for that, and getting a 3.75 or 4 this semester is realistic at the moment since Ive bee working extra hard. I am very worried however that all of the hard work that will come in the next years will be for naught if my 2.5 first semester will weigh me down. I know I am capable of getting mostly As and Bs from here on out, but will my first semester be the bane of my PA school application? Will schools take into account covid college and and very bad professors who hardly knew how to operate education software? Will schools see the upward trend as a good thing? I also understand that my application will be looked at as a package rather than just GPA, so I have some hope, but this worry still lingers.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More