To PAs in pre-hospital EMS:

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
3 hours ago, EMM2020 said:

@Acebecker I am very interested in working prehospital when I graduate. What were the results of your project? 
There is a PA-C in Texas with an awesome job working EMS. 

Where, and in what capacity?  My locale has non-emergent f/u care by advanced paramedics for frequent flyers.  WE also have an advanced paramedic unit as I understand that responds to major calls in a city of 280+K residents and which has a local level I trauma center and burn unit.  I could see a PA doing the follow ups but additional training I don’t believe would be a major asset considering proximity to trauma center and availability of air service if needed.

As far as costs, if the PA is affiliated with the EMS director I don’t see why they couldn’t bill for their service through the director.  Split costs between the city and the hospital network if the city or hospital don’t want to float it alone.

• Upvote 1

There's an EMS group at SEMPA discussing this.  There are essentially 3 sub-topics:

• Adding PA's & NP's to EMS response to treat more patients at the scene without transporting them to the ED.  For the most part, this is in larger cities, and deals with helping patients manage chronic or other sub-acute complaints.
  • Using PA's & NP's for additional capabilities for critical pre-hospital patients.  Most commonly this is in helicopter or in some cases fixed wing units.  In some states, PA supervision requirements are barriers, e.g. state laws which require the PA to work at a site where the supervising physician doc works (at least some of the time).
  • PA's and NP's serving in medical direction roles, either online/real time or offline/policy roles.  Often ACEP opposes this - trying to reserve this role for EM boarded docs.
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...