Average number of patients per day

I'm in ortho and see generally 30-36 per day with occasional 40 patient days. My clinic is no different than my SP. I see anything and everything with no change in patient acuity or complexity compared to my SP. I also do on average 6-7 total joints on my OR day.

My AM clinic runs from 8-11:30-40 usually last scheduled patient. PM clinic is from 1:30 to about 4:00-20 being last patient.

When I was in urgent care average 40-45 with eventually a routine 50-60 once they got more contracts.

This was a 12 hour shift

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6-7 totals? That is pretty prolific! One surgeon or multiple?

One surgeon. We run two fully staffed rooms. Just yesterday we knocked out a bilateral TKA skin to skin in 2hrs 10 minutes. We're pretty efficient lol. Usually a standard TKA is 50 minutes skin to skin. Hips maybe an hour to hour ten.

• Upvote 1

No offense, Dawg - that schedule doesn't sound awesome -- either as patient or provider.

Too many people in clinic and way too many surgeries in a day.

We never did more than 3 totals and a few scopes in one hospital OR day. And the hospital wasn't that efficient at room turnover.

And my doc topped out at 25 in clinic and liked 18 better. He and I made plenty of money and only worked 4 days one week and 5 days the next. He was good and sought after but had no intention of working too death.

It was enough and we got home before 6:30 most every night. We both had gradeschool kids at the time and valued being home regularly. We took school holidays off and went skiing with our kids.

Glad it seems to work for you - not my cup of tea.....

My very old 2 cents

• Upvote 6

No offense, Dawg - that schedule doesn't sound awesome -- either as patient or provider.

Too many people in clinic and way too many surgeries in a day.

We never did more than 3 totals and a few scopes in one hospital OR day. And the hospital wasn't that efficient at room turnover.

And my doc topped out at 25 in clinic and liked 18 better. He and I made plenty of money and only worked 4 days one week and 5 days the next. He was good and sought after but had no intention of working too death.

It was enough and we got home before 6:30 most every night. We both had gradeschool kids at the time and valued being home regularly. We took school holidays off and went skiing with our kids.

Glad it seems to work for you - not my cup of tea.....

My very old 2 cents

No offense taken at all... Do I work hard? Absolutely. But the fact that my surgeon does the same and more, makes me feel less abused. As crazy as it sounds, I am done at 5pm or earlier every day. Even on those OR days. The experience I am getting from being in my practice is unmatched. My OR skills are of that of a near senior resident, and my doctor treats me as an equal. So abuse or not in term of numbers I am happy where I am... For now

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I work in Spine and I do all the new patient intakes and I see about 2.5-3 per hour( 2 new one established pt per hour) so ~25 minutes to review all the x-rays, MRI's, and medical records perform exam and place all my orders (no MA) as well as time to chart. and a quick 10 minutes for the established patient.  I also run the surgery schedule which can jam up my day when we book multiple surgeries and I am trying to find dates.

I moonlight in the ED on weekends and see about 1pph in the main ED and 2-3 pph in the fast track.

I work in Spine and I do all the new patient intakes and I see about 2.5-3 per hour( 2 new one established pt per hour) so ~25 minutes to review all the x-rays, MRI's, and medical records perform exam and place all my orders (no MA) as well as time to chart. and a quick 10 minutes for the established patient.  I also run the surgery schedule which can jam up my day when we book multiple surgeries and I am trying to find dates.

I moonlight in the ED on weekends and see about 1pph in the main ED and 2-3 pph in the fast track.

That sounds like zero fun.

That sounds like zero fun.

YUP.  Im getting ready to make a change to full time ED.  The pay is SOO much better, i average ~42hr worked in spine and the ED pay here is 60-70hr depending on facility + overtime pay for more than 15 shifts a month and shift bonus whenevere there is a shortage which is 500-1000 extra per shift!.  I can wait to make 150k a year in another 5 years and keep working 50 hrs a week or make that now without call...

Usually manage about 6-10 patients per 12 hrs shift in the CCU. That doesn't count the code blues, the patient's I'm asked to see on the floor to evaluate if they need to go the the CCU, or the STEMI calls. Most shifts include placing a line or two and dealing with a patient(s) teetering on the edge of disaster.....or over the edge. 

• Upvote 1

UC here. 8 hour shift yesterday, saw 35. Luckily no lacs to sew or I'd be behind. Money is good but I'm burnt out. I'm moving to NC this summer, so I can take the pain a few more months.

Same. Max on a 12 hr day was 47 recently. Max on a Sunday, 8hr shift, 35. Those are typically no lunch, 1hr left of charting/xray reviews/labs at the end of the day. As much as I hate the respiratory crud people come in with and enjoy sewing, a day full of respiratory complaints typically runs quick times. 

• 2 years later...
On 1/22/2016 at 11:20 PM, JFloridaPA said:

I know I’m bumping an old thread here, but this is exactly what I was looking for. I work in spine and see 16-18pts. May not sound like a lot but spine patients are rarely straightforward. I also only make about $42/hr with 2 yrs experience. Needless to say I’m looking for other opportunities. 

Old job: busy L3 trauma center, seeing ESI 2-4: (pt's + procedures + 30 min increments of critical care time)= 2/hour, $65/hour

New job: rural critical access hospital, solo coverage w. doc on call, seeing everything, 12 hour overnight shifts, average 8 pts/night (+ 1 nap 🙂 ), $85/hour

EMED is SO RIGHT about this.  But, the old job is what trained me for the new one.

UC. Total numbers vary but even when we are slammed I have one pace...about 3/hr...sometimes more if everything is low acuity and doesn't need a bunch of tests. With the raise I just got on my anniversary I am making about $75/hr plus a solid benefits package.

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I’ve just seen 17 in 3 1/2 hours with one sick pt and a parent of a kid w/ILI who want Tamiflu prophylaxis so she’s signing in. Just told office mgr/RN that this is two summer days volume in under four hours.

You could have some great help starting on February 4th.   😉