How you got in... (and if I can, too!)

I'm planning on applying to the Stanford program next year, 2012, and have been reading through these forums with people asking how their credentials/grades/etc look for getting in, and current and former students giving their two cents. That's all good info for sure, but rather subjective (and sometimes disheartening). I'd like to know what those same students, the ones who are currently enrolled or recent alumni, had on their application to get in... or even to get an interview!

Also, so I too can be on the receiving end of said subjective comments, here are my current stats I am planning to apply with:

-AS in Allied Health Sciences(similar to physiology major)

-3.4ish GPA overall (with classes in progress, so hopefully a tad higher)

-Micro, A; Physio, B; Anatomy in progress (shooting for an A, of course)

-3.5 years experience as an EMT (about 2,500 hours DHCE according to the Stanford formula, and being conservative)

-1.5 years (2.5 by time of application deadline) experience as an ER Tech and Telemetry Tech (haven't calculated DHCE hours, but should at least surpass the extra 500 needed for the minimum) at a Community Hospital, serving primarily Medicare and uninsured patients

-14 days volunteer experience as an EMT during the Hurricane Katrina Relief

-50 hours volunteer experience at a rural ER and Outpatient Surgery Clinic

-Strong letters of recommendation from Physicians (Emergency and Invasive Cardiology)

-Planning to shadow a couple of local PAs in the coming months

-Also, applying to a bachelors program as a fall-back if I don't get in and to broaden my potential school choices in the future

There it is, go ahead and shoot me down! But it would be super helpful for me (and probably most other prospective students) to hear what it took for others to get into the program. Thanks!

-Kahlon

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a decent resume. Be sure to complete your required hours, direct patient care experience, and all prerequisites before any required dates. Strong letters of recommendation--check. Decent and recent grades in prereq classes--check. Some volunteer work--check, but the more the better, especially in underserved areas. It would be good, imho, if you spoke a 2nd language, but not necessary.

Don't forget to be yourself in your interview/validation.

This is just my opinion, but you will be competing for a spot against the other EMT/Paramedics--they can only take so many of the EMT/Paramedics that apply or else the class would be imbalanced. What makes you stand out from the other EMT/Paramedics?

I'm graduating from the program in less than 2 weeks!!!

• 1 month later...

Congratulations! I must say, I'm a little envious! Thanks for the feedback, my DPC hours are more than done, and I'm trying to volunteer at a local free clinic. I've tried Spanish a few times, but alas, it hasn't stuck. Hopefully I can make up for my lack of fluency in other areas! Any other advice would be appreciated!

• 5 weeks later...
Looks like a decent resume. Be sure to complete your required hours, direct patient care experience, and all prerequisites before any required dates. Strong letters of recommendation--check. Decent and recent grades in prereq classes--check. Some volunteer work--check, but the more the better, especially in underserved areas. It would be good, imho, if you spoke a 2nd language, but not necessary.

Don't forget to be yourself in your interview/validation.

This is just my opinion, but you will be competing for a spot against the other EMT/Paramedics--they can only take so many of the EMT/Paramedics that apply or else the class would be imbalanced. What makes you stand out from the other EMT/Paramedics?

I'm graduating from the program in less than 2 weeks!!!

Hey there, since you're in the program at the present time I was wondering if you could give your two cents. I just wrote abt. this to someone else on here so I'll try to keept his short and sweet. I am thinking abt. doing a PA program but much further in the future. Last year I gave up applying to master's in nursing programs when I realized that I wanted to pursue an MSW(master's in social work) instead. Now I found myself re-researching nursing (all...RN/BSN/MSN) and I also started researching PA programs again. I have a BA in psychology, and I have been accepted into an MSW program. Do you think that if I finish an MSW and work as a social worker in a hospital or similar mental healthcare setting (this requires direct patient contact clinically, as well as much collaboration with PA/DO/DR/RN etc.) that I might be able to use that experience towards the 3000 hours required? You see, to become a licensed clinical social worker it requires 3000 hours anyways being supervised, so this would get me licensed as well as possibly hours towards a PA program maybe? I figure maybe no social workers or LCSWs go the PA route but I could be wrong? Any thoughts? And if that's the case, maybe I could use it to my advantage when I get to that point and I'd be more competitive this way. During my MSW degree there will be about 1,800 hours of fieldwork required (I wouldn't use this towards hrs for PA) but it would be all in underserved areas most likely, and as I live in LA county, I will eventually be picking up spanish so I will hopefully be fluent by then. I know this is the "long route" but I'm just taking my time and I really want that social work experience, but my dream (or so I think and will later find out) is to eventually work in medicine...so what do you think?

I got a PM from bgdog who did not post on this thread who mentioned that I thread-jacked either this or the similar type post on a different thread. So, I am very sorry for that if you two felt that also...I'm new to this and didn't really even think of starting my own thread yet. I figured it's better to speak w/ people who've started the same types of convos.

I got a PM from bgdog who did not post on this thread who mentioned that I thread-jacked either this or the similar type post on a different thread. So, I am very sorry for that if you two felt that also...I'm new to this and didn't really even think of starting my own thread yet. I figured it's better to speak w/ people who've started the same types of convos.

Yes, I e-mailed you privately and mentioned that it's not a good idea to thread jack. I also offered to answer any questions that you have regarding the program and left you my phone number.

I did it privately as to not call you out on a public forum. Since you failed to grasp this simple courtesy, I take back my offer to help you.

Lisbeth, this thread was fairly inactive, so I don't mind. I check this about once a week or so. I have no authority whether someone gets in or not. I only have my personal opinion and experience. As for the 3000 clinical hours, my understanding is that these must be direct patient contact hours, so you would need to support whatever you put on your application. From my knowledge, MA's have used their hours taking Vital signs or doing phlebotomy to count as direct patient contact hours. Things like massage therapy would not qualify, as an example. We did not have any MSW's in our class. I would think that would count, but my advice is to call and ask Fred in the Stanford PCAP admin about your situation. Or attend one of the information sessions that do come to the LA area. There is an info session a few times a year in the SF Valley in Mission Hills, I think, and also down in LA somewhere. The program has some very good lectures and exams that cover mental health/DSM IV and I would think that having an MSW would be a big asset, but you should ask someone in the administration to confirm. Good luck!

Great thanks Nakasoner, I've had a couple private conversations with another person on this site that is a licensed professional couselor and she was accepted into a program so at least I know it's possible somewhere. No one answered the phone at stanford when I called, but I will try again soon as well as call a few other schools to get a feel for wheather they'd take that experience. Thanks for the info. about information sessions too, I'll look into those as well.

Kahlon - your resume looks very diverse and of good quality. I agree with naka - a 2nd language does help, but isn't necessary. We had about 1/3 of the class only speak one language. I would keep up with the Spanish.. it only helps when you start seeing patients ;). I graduated from the program a little over a year ago. I had just the bare minimum DPC hrs (not encouraging this if you can help it) in women's health and primary care, but it didn't matter - what matters is when you get in the program how hard you work. gpa was 4.0. Not sure if this info is going to help you or freak you out, but grades are only a part of the picture! Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the input! I am pretty freaked out anyway, so don't worry about it! Now that I'm actually working on filling out the application for real, I found I have more than enough DPC hours, just a little worried about my GPA though... Once in the program I'll be living off student loans and therefore not working, so excelling academically in the program isn't an issue. For those of you who are in or done with the program, an pointers on the narrative/statement of purpose?

• 1 month later...

Kahlon,

I applied this year and was accepted by two schools. Here is my advice to you:

-In order to better your chances at an interview, get to know the staff at the school you are interested in.

This is from Stanfords FAQ: " We hold informational sessions several times throughout the year, where we go over our program and attendees are given the opportunity to have their questions answered and meet current and past students."

The people you will meet at these sessions will be on the admission committee.

-In regard to your narrative/statement of purpose, read the schools mission statement, and if you agree with it, write everything with that mission statement in mind. You have to convince them that you will follow that mission statement.

Archived