MPAS now and trying to figure out prescriptive authority

So I just graduated UNMC MPAS. I am trying to understand the jargon of the OSMB for prescriptive authority. I see that I have to fill out the application and get transcripts from UNMC and my PA school. Now, I graduated 2005 from KCMA. It says that pharmacology training must be within 3 years. So my studies in college are not valid since over 3 years???? Anyone else had to get their "training" again. I can't believe it matters. If you grandfather in, you don't have to worry about this? Please fill me in.

No, your PA school pharm classes are not valid anymore. You have to attend a pharmacology conference/lecture for the specified number of hours before you can apply. I graduated in 2007. So, when I applied for my certificate to prescribe in 2009, my pharm classes from PA school were still good. A colleague of mine had to retake pharm specific CME to get his, because he graduated in 2002 (from the same program).

Ohio is insane. OSMB hates PA's. The individual that you speak to has never been friendly. OSMB makes no sense when a PA sexually insults patients persistently (not me by the way) but continues to practice. Also a physician with cocaine addiction continues to be allowed to practice despite his repeat offense. So now after beating myself up for a year for the MPAS, cramming last 6 months for boards and finishing last day allowed to test (oh yeah baby), now I get to go back to do more CME, give OAPA $250 for the ethical/fiscal CME required, give OSMB $100 for the application, more paperwork- wooohoo! In addition to this House Bill 93 passed (thank you scioto county pharmacist, lobbyist) pain management stipulations change. We had to get background checks ($60 a pop each employee), have OSMB visits, chart evals, pain facility license- yes Ohio is insane. As above- family ties. Bend over Ohio PA's!

Thanks for the info. I will now look into these conferences/lecture. Do you mind me asking what your friend did to obtain his (specifically).

He took one of the OAPA 2 day conferences that they were having like every other month or so throughout the state to get everyone the required hours they needed. Not sure how often, if at all, they are doing them now. Check out their web site. I currently use The Prescriber's Letter to maintain my pharm specific CME. They are pretty good and you can get several hours in a short period of time. http://prescribersletter.therapeuticresearch.com/home.aspx?cs=mrls~cepda&s=PRL&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Ohio is insane. OSMB hates PA's. The individual that you speak to has never been friendly. OSMB makes no sense when a PA sexually insults patients persistently (not me by the way) but continues to practice. Also a physician with cocaine addiction continues to be allowed to practice despite his repeat offense. So now after beating myself up for a year for the MPAS, cramming last 6 months for boards and finishing last day allowed to test (oh yeah baby), now I get to go back to do more CME, give OAPA $250 for the ethical/fiscal CME required, give OSMB $100 for the application, more paperwork- wooohoo! In addition to this House Bill 93 passed (thank you scioto county pharmacist, lobbyist) pain management stipulations change. We had to get background checks ($60 a pop each employee), have OSMB visits, chart evals, pain facility license- yes Ohio is insane. As above- family ties. Bend over Ohio PA's!

I second that! Said person doesn't like to answer her phone or return messages either.

Archived