I am looking for a good pediatric critical care reference text.  I've heard that the big three are
·         Fuhrman and Zimmerman. Pediatric Critical Care. 4th Edition. 2011

·         Shaffner and Nichols. Rogers' Textbook of Pediatric Intensive Care. 5th Edition. 2015.

·         Wheeler, Wong, and Shanley. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine: Basic Science and Clinical Evidence. 2007.

My question is.. I have no way to go see any of these texts in person.  Anyone have any good comparisons on the three texts?  I would be learning more toward Roger's just because its the most current - however I'm not sure if that is a good enough reason. 

I'll be using it just as a reference for understanding the sick kiddos I'm taking care of, but I'll be working in Neurosurgery.

Any opinions would be much appreciated. 

Happy Holidays! 

you can probably read sections of each on amazon to see which best fits your style. if you go to a medical school bookstore or library you could compare the same section(pick a dx) for each and see which flows best for you. I did this when looking for a medicine text and realized Cecil's was a far better writing style for me than harrison's with better tables and language aimed at the non-internist.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Origi2.0
      Hey, is there anyone selling their rosh account? Please let me know
    • By jsullivan1
      Hi! I am currently a first year PA student. Upon shadowing in surgical critical care, I fell in love with the field and want to invest my career in it. I plan on applying to PA residency programs specializing  in surgical critical care after graduation from school (August 2022). I was hoping for advice on how I can begin to build my resume for applying to residency programs. Any help is greatly appreciated:) 

• By djcturno
      I have been a practicing PA for 4 years working in adult acute care medicine (ER, ICU, transplant cardiology). I was recently approached by a recruiter for PA position in pediatric cardiac surgery, which would involve OR and ICU clinical work. Even prior to PA school, I had an affinity for pediatrics and loved my pedi rotation. I had always imagined going into pedi cardiac crit care. My professional life took me towards adult care, and unfortunately has not permitted much in the way of pedi exposure. Has anyone made the jump from adult acute care to pediatric acute care? From chiefly medicine position to surgery? Can you tell me about your experience and any additional insights? It's a helluva jump, I am not naive, but just wanted to see if anyone else has any experience with this. Thanks! 
    • By ssammyy
      If this has already been asked, I apologize. I could not find a thorough post. Any recommendations/advice/comments (good or bad) would be really appreciated! 
      Does anyone have any advice on an ICU clinical rotation? Or advice on working as a PA in ICU/critical care? Any recommendation on books/resources to use as a student on rotation? Any current or previous ICU/critical care PA: is it difficult to find a job in ICU/critical care? Is a fellowship recommended or required?
    • By Dylan9
      Hello Everyone new to PA forums- I have some textbooks that I am selling as I graduated and no longer need them. I have pictures, all are in great condition. I am located in Tempe Arizona so if you are looking for AT STILL, MIDWESTERN or NAU PA PROGRAMS, then this is for you.
      Prices are whatever the used pride on amazon is minus 20% assuming your in AZ and I don’t have to ship. Edited for what I have left!!!

Pharmacology 4th edition from Lippincott Willams and Wilkins- 

Surgical recall 7th edition by Lorne H Blackbourne- A must have if you have a surgery rotation, seriously this book is a life savor, every chapter has a set of popular pimp questions that Preceptors try to make you miss.

LANGE Q&A Physician Assistant 5th edition 225 question practice test with 1100 questions and detailed answers- I counted approximately 25 pages where I circled answers on the questions, after that I just used a separate pieces of paper.

Tolerances- an orthopaedic reference manual 3rd edition- small pocket book for an ortho rotation- Only recommend if you want ortho surgery

Manual for Eye Examination and Diagnosis 9th edition by Mark W Leitman- full color

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More