Able to negotiate?

I am a new grad and was given an offer at a Women's Health Group back in November. They made it clear that they really thought I would be a good fit. However, I was waiting on a different job I interviewed for to get back to me. I declined the women's health job and never heard back from the other practice. Well, nearly 5 months out from graduation and many many interviews later, I now realize how hard it is to find a job with a really nice, clean office, wonderful office staff, good/safe location, and a fantastic physician who is willing to mentor a new grad.

I ended up contacting the administrator yesterday inquiring about the offer and I was offered the job again (over other candidates). I plan on accepting it, but I would also like to negotiate. For example, the PTO is only 2 weeks (I'd like 3) and the CME is only $1000 ($1500 would be nice). There's also no 401k mentioned in the contract. However, I'm not sure I'm in the position to even negotiate since they were kind enough to offer me the job again. Would that come across in a negative way if I did bring up negotiation? I don't want to cause negative feelings but I also don't want to sell myself short.

Another thought I had was that the contract is good for 1 year. I was thinking I could negotiate more PTO, etc. after 1 year. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

From a new grad myself who just had a whole contract scuffle/negotiation my advice is to fight for what you feel you are worth. I did and gained $17,000 dollars on my contract.

I would log into AAPA, and download the 2015 salary report, or if you message me I can email you my copy. And use that as far as negotiating pay and such. It breaks down all specialties and years of service and gives a 10th, 25th, 50th, 75th, 99th percentile for your pay. To me 2 weeks of PTO is rather low, so I would counter with 3, as well as ask about 401K as well as CME days off and such. And as far as pay goes don't just accept a lower offer cause you feel bad for saying no then coming back 5 months later. The real Question you should ask is why is that position still available after these 5 months? Don't accept pay less than we truly deserve cause you feel bad.

Archived