help with resume/cover letter

Hi all... I am looking for some advice on my resume and cover letter to send to a place that I would love to work but doesn't have very many postings for PAs.  Just to give a little background on my situation, I have been working in pediatric interventional cardiology for 2 years now, which was my first position out of school.  Since it is a specialty that is not very used to PAs/NPs, I have sort of had to fight my way in to let people know what I can and can't do as a PA.  For the most part I love what I do (pre-cath H+P/orders, performing and assisting the cath procedure, and post-cath reports/dictation/orders/discharge), but my supervising physician and support staff (tech+nurses) still, at times, see me as just another staff member in the lab that can help with inventory issues, setting up the table, scheduling patients, putting away inventory, etc.  Part of the reason they expect some of these duties from me is that the first NP in the lab was hired as the cath lab manager - this was supposed to be temporary until his credentialling went through but it eventually became permanent, so he really only did the H+P and orders and was otherwise functioning as an RN... then I came along. We worked together for awhile and I took over 90% of the midlevel duties while he continued to do the manager stuff but he left this past summer and I have tried to put my foot down about a lot of things, but a lot of it won't get done unless I involve myself, which worries me for patient safety.  I don't think I will ever be able to fully break them of seeing me that way (no matter how hard I try), so I think it's time to move on to less dysfunctional staff. 

I LOVE pediatric cardiology and really want to try and find a way to stay in this specialty so my plan is to do some "cold calling", or rather "cold emailing" with phone call follow-up to explain what it is I can do and what I am interested in.  There is one hospital in particular that I would love, so I know it's a long-shot but they don't have this subspecialty everywhere so I gotta try.  Since PAs are much more established in CT surgery on the adult side of things, I figured I would try my hand at a surgical position, while also expressing that I would be happy to work in peds cardio in any capacity to stay in the specialty. 

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to look at my cover letter and/or CV?  If so, please comment or send me a message and I'll pass it along!  Also, if anyone has any advice on cold calling places, I would love to hear your thoughts/experiences/advice.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived