Advantages of having Multiple Certifications!

I was wondering what advantages having multiple certifications would have on getting a job or getting into a good residency. I have BLS, ACLS, and PALS, but I was hoping to get ATLS, FCCS, and PFCCS certs in addition.

I was hoping to get into a good EM residency... maybe this one:

http://www.regionsem.org/pa-residency

or another residency. Would this help my chances... I have a critical care and emergency medicine background prior to PA school. I have about 8 months left till I Graduate.

Thoughts ???

From my own experience trying to get my ATLS during my trauma rotation, I was told you must be a certified PA-C to be able to take the class. As far as the FCCS/PFCCS you can register as a student, the text is pretty straightforward (especially if you have a cc background and have done an ICU rotation), but at least in my area (NW) it's not offered very often (2x year) so sign up now. It's spendy ~$350, but I think it can only help your chances of getting into residency or finding a job. You can find the schedule on SCCM (also checkout RICU, educational ICU medicine for residents, great for us too).

That residency program looks pretty killer, though I'm curious why 6 weeks in SICU and only 4 in MICU, and why 1 month is jam-packed ultrasound, airway and EMS. I like that you can get additional training in u/s and tox. There are more and more great residencies popping up, I hope to maybe apply next year after I make a dent in my loans.

THE MORE THE BETTER.

so far I have acls, atls, pals, apls, also, difficult airway, fccs, abls

not a big fan of the nrp course. took it once(and passed) but didn't bother recerting. it was pretty redundant with pals.

V.O.- you can take atls as a student but to get a card you have to be licensed. I took atls the first time as a pa student the week before my trauma surg rotation and got a "letter of completion."

I got my NRP too (didn't pay for the class and was planning on letting it lapse as it's covered by PALS, plus I'll be hospitalistin' for the next year or so), but Redonems depending where you do your OB/GYN your preceptor might run your megacode for you. Mine was a very busy OB service that covered 3 counties, we had a run of some sick, sick newborns that got tubed and shipped, we put in a U-line on one, so my doc (who was awesome by the way) walked me through the procedure and ran me through some megacodes and airway problems for neonates and signed my card.

If you get the opportunity to pick one up cheap (it was like $10), might as well get it. If not, don't sweat it. :) I've only seen one hospital that had NRP as a cert they wanted for their EM providers (coincidentally it was the same rural hospital I did OB/GYN).

Thank You for all the great replies. I think I will use my downtime between getting my PA-C and getting a PA residency or a J O B to Cert up!

I can do all of them online...! No hands on required...?

Does anyone have any thoughts about a "All online" ATLS class? Or The "all online" classes in general?

http://www.atlscertificationonline.com/?gclid=CO7i4vahkq0CFQhbhwod0VOdlw

This website said there is no skills portion and that it is all online... I have never taken ATLS before. Should I take it at a hands on classroom or take the online no hands route?

If anyone knows of any great EM/Critical Care PA residencies that are not listed on APPAP let me know...

online atls is bs.

the purpose of the entire course is the procedures labs. I think there is a fairly significant chance that this "online course" is bogus. at a real course you need to pass a written AND practical or no card. also notice on the site they don't even ask if you are an md, do, pa, np, etc just name and credit card #. probably a scam.

don't do online certs, seriously.

Archived