Question about Cum-GPA

Hi everyone, new here, I'm looking to apply in the future for PA school, just need some clarification as it is Friday and I haven't had the chance to talk to any admissions personnel about this question. When it comes down to CumGPA, does that mean everything from undergrad? Or do they only count your GPA from your bachelors degree? The reason why I am asking is because I did terrible when i first got out of high school to comm college, and got my act together after that, but i have some nasty transcripts.

Heres the breakdown.

- Community college #1 - Just took classes to take classes, bad GPA

- Community College #2 - Got it together, earned an Associates 2.5 cum GPA (with the negative effect of college #1 bad transcript)

- B.S Program College #3 - 3.6 GPA (Just from the classes i've taken with #3)

My question is, do they take ALL the transcripts from EVERY college you went to? Or does admissions start counting from your GPA with your Bachelors degree?

Sorry if this is confusing, I'm just trying to get as much information as I can. Thanks in advance.  

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to have to do some digging around on this next question, but do they also count Academic Renewal grades in the GPA? And what's the cGPA needed to stay competitive or at least get in?

Edit, just saw on CASPA that it does not recognize academic renewal or anything, so it looks like I won't have a shot at this, I believe my cGPA is going to be too low.

Not all schools treat grades the same; some are more concerned with your trend. Your trend at first blush seems good. 

If it were me, and you're not, I wouldn't give up. Try to get an appointment at at least one of the programs you are interested in and talk to an academic advisor. I know this is the era of computers, but I wouldn't expect all schools to be robots. 

Try making your case and see what happens. You wouldn't be the first to get in that way.

Almost anyone can get into PA school. It is just a matter of doing a cost benefit analysis. The stuff that some people will need to do in terms of time and expense to raise their GPA to a competitive level can be prohibitive. If you have a few years and the finances, talk to some of the schools that interest you and see how far off they think you are.

What is your cum gpa then? A lot of schools will tend to focus on #3 as long as you meet the min. I had a 3.07 with a vy mixed lifetime academic record but a recent 3.5 sci. From a 4 yr. With 3 core science classes/sem. I also had an F in a 6 cr. Grad course from an old masters prog. Very mixed bag. Strategize and use the harsh, rigid rules of caspa to your advantage.I took a couple classes online via Kaplan while taking 5 reg. Classes over the summer and it really didn't incr. My workload. Med term and "bio chem" (really a nutrition class). They actually weren't bad for what they were and ez. You just can't space that you have the seminar weekly. Cost per credit is high (they let me use gi bill). Most schools have some kind of med term exam early on so you'll need it. 7.0 credits of 4.0 goodness poored into my gpa. I also retook psych 101 for a prog. That incl. It in the must be recent and that counted too even though I took it in ungrad. Everything counts, so everything counts. Do overs are averaged in with everything else. Only DO progs. Usegrade replacement.

Good luck.

You could try to claw your way back up to a reasonable GPA, or you could apply to programs like Wayne State University, or Rutgers (UMNDJ), who allow you to do a last 60 hour credit waiver to calculate your cumulative GPA. I'd probably do the latter; try to research a bunch of schools similar to the two I suggested. Do that and get some awesome HCE, and I believe you will be fine, though like everyone else said, it's getting unreasonably competitive.

Archived