Your salary vs your SP's

So I was curious to know how your salary compares to the salary of the doctors that you work with? Do any of you know how much the docs your work with make, or is that something they would never share? From my understanding MDs/DOs can make as little as 1.5X as much to well over 5X as much as their PAs. Anyone care to share some anecdotes? Im just trying to get and idea of how many times the PAs salary most docs are earning.

Also if you saw my previous thread heres my update: I'm probably just gonna go into a field that I'm actually interested (EM). Hopefully I can work my way up to 120k a year in a few years and start helping my parents out. I'm just not sure that trying to make 140k+, in the field I love (EM), is a realistic goal anymore.

My base salary is 60% of what my SPs base salary is.  Both of us bonus on what we earn for the group (we each get a % of the collections).  He gets a percentage of what I make for us as well (though this ends up being only about $10k/year). 

60% is amazing and probably the highest I've ever heard. Would you mind sharing what your actual salary is? No worries if you don't want to. Also how do you know its 60% of your SPs base? Did he tell you?

main job pa 65/hr, er md 187/hr

rural job 1 pa 70/hr, md 105/hr

rural job 2 pa 65/hr, md 185/hr

new rural job pa 80/hr, md unk

One quick question on it..

If you are at the level of $65 to $70 right now, what happens a few years later regarding the salary? Do you expect to see a raise or continue as it is? Is this the ceiling discussed earlier in a different post?

One quick question on it..

If you are at the level of $65 to $70 right now, what happens a few years later regarding the salary? Do you expect to see a raise or continue as it is? Is this the ceiling discussed earlier in a different post?

when I started at job 1 15 years ago it paid 34.50/hr + production and rural job 2 started me at 48/hr 8 years ago so I think gradual raises are to be expected.

Wow @ rural job #1! The docs dont make THAT much more than you.

Did you actually ask the docs about these #s? Seems like that may be an awkward convo lol

the docs there are fp, not em boarded. we do EXACTLY the same job as it is solo coverage, an em pa or an fp md. I heard those #s from the lead pa who has been there 20+ years. when he retires any day now I want his job.

Whats the diff between his job and your job? Aren't you guys pretty much doing the same thing?

we do the same work , but he has guaranteed hours and gets full benefits. I am per diem without bennies and have no guarantee that I will get any shifts. the place has 1 full time PA and 4 per diem PAs plus a handful of FP docs.

we do the same work , but he has guaranteed hours and gets full benefits. I am per diem without bennies and have no guarantee that I will get any shifts. the place has 1 full time PA and 4 per diem PAs plus a handful of FP docs.

Still E - this raises a very uncomfortable point for your employer there - and any other places that do this.  If you are doing the SAME job, under the SAME conditions (single/solo aka "by YOURSELF") , and the SAME times, and held to the SAME standard of care . . .why in the world shouldn't they pay you the SAME as that doc (whether FP or EM)?

Because docs always make more...because they are docs....we went to epic 4 months ago. "physician trainers" were paid 125/hr to do exactly the same thing as "staff trainers" (rn/pa/np) who were paid 40/hr. same training, same responsibilities. docs just think they are worth more and pay themselves accordingly....

why does an msn make more than a bsn who makes more than an adn who makes more than an lpn,  all to do the same job....

Because docs always make more...because they are docs....we went to epic 4 months ago. "physician trainers" were paid 125/hr to do exactly the same thing as "staff trainers" (rn/pa/np) who were paid 40/hr. same training, same responsibilities. docs just think they are worth more and pay themselves accordingly....

why does an msn make more than a bsn who makes more than an adn who makes more than an lpn, all to do the same job....

Where I worked as a nurse, a magnet hospital, MSN/BSN/ADN were all paid the same if fulfilling the same position. An LPN does not perform the same job as an RN, and can't legally, so they weren't paid the same.

Where I worked as a nurse, a magnet hospital, MSN/BSN/ADN were all paid the same if fulfilling the same position. An LPN does not perform the same job as an RN, and can't legally, so they weren't paid the same.

depends on the facility. one small place I work at uses only LPNs with one rn on staff as nurse manager. they do everything except hang blood(which we don't even have there). they are all acls and pals certified, etc

why does an msn make more than a bsn who makes more than an adn who makes more than an lpn,  all to do the same job....

We agree.  It's just such an inconsistency that of late, when I hear of situations such as you described, for some reason vexes me no end.  Health systems or CMGs that do this paint themselves into such a nakedly illogical position.  If docs always make more because they are docs, but you do the same thing just as well, why not either pay you the same (since they're getting the same efficiency and quality), OR fire the docs and get more PAs like you - to get the same quality and efficiency . . .for less money.

It also takes the old tarp off of the big ugly question sitting over in the dark corner of the garage: To be very good at practicing medicine, does one really need to have four years of college, four years of medical school and a few years of residency?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived