Working in a medspa as a medical aesthetician?

Is this even remotely considered health care experience?

I would really like to become a PA and work in plastics. I know it's a difficult specialty to get into, so I am considering going to cosmetology school to become an aesthetician and trying to work at one of the local medspas. If you don't know, these are different from regular salons in that they are usually run by an MD (or NP in other areas). I was thinking maybe I could go to school to become a medical assistant after this training and hopefully take on both roles, but I'm not sure if this is really considered good direct patient care experience. Thoughts?

EDIT: It's important to note that there is no difference between a medical esthetician and a regular esthetician. The training is exactly the same.

Honestly, if a medical esthetician is the same as an esthetician, then no, I'd say this isn't great patient experience and may not even count for programs.  You're doing the same work but on a different population (i.e. in theory people with a medical need for an aesthetician like cancer/burn patients).  

If you were doing this work in a dermatology office or hospital, then maybe.  It's a fine line.  You'd have to check with programs to see if they would consider it PCE or HCE.  There are probably better ways to get started on the path to working in plastics.

Archived