Undergraduate Research

Alot of my pre-med friends are doing research since it's a de-facto requirement for most med schools, but I was wondering... Is research necessary to get into PA School? Will it look better on my application or should I just focus more on HCE/shadowing? Also I was thinking research would be a good way to get a great recommendation, but I'm not sure if it's really worth the effort in the first place, since it's usually a commitment of 10-15+ hours per week.

I think it's odd to focus on "What looks good on my app?" as compared to "What can I learn from this?"

I wasn't intending on participating in research because I already know that I don't care for labs. However, my university changed the schedule and that was the only option left if I didn't want to wait another year to graduate. And wonders of wonders, I actually got quite a bit from the experience.

1.) it solidified genetic and microbiology concepts I had previously only read about (info I later used in my paid tutoring job)

2.) I learned that real labs aren't like the ones from basic chem where everything is so exact and there is only one way to accomplish something

3.) I stayed on for the summer which meant I was paid a bit better than most of my working pals as the lab was awarded a grant

4.) I learned how to make those nifty science posters and how to present them

Additionally, my PI did write an LOR before I left. I waived my right to read it, but it must have been great since I was granted interviews everywhere I applied and have been accepted to my first choice.

So, is it necessary? Prob not. Could you learn something from it? Undoubtedly. Is HCE important? Absolutely. I don't think getting into PA school should just be a process of checking boxes. The education you're choosing should mean something.

I don't know if your school offers it or not, but what you can look for are clinical research opportunities. I went to a large research-based university and almost everyone did research in some form, lab or clinical. We had quite a few clinical research opportunities that included studying the use of portable ultrasounds for patients with kidney stones (my friend's project), and they did have opportunities to have some patient interaction that way. There was also some other one where they helped draw blood and what not as well. I'd definitely go for those research opportunities, not the lab ones. I did a lab one and spent 20+ hours a week, definitely NOT my thing. I ended up not asking for a LOR either. We had some clinical applications of the lab, but as students we weren't allowed to see the clinical trials, just the darned animals. Got to do minor surgery and catheterized animals, which'll help with some clinical aspects in the future, but no patient care or interaction. Clinical research is definitely your best bet, you might be able to count it as HCE for some schools AND get a LOR.

Look, let me give it to you straight.

First, there is nothing wrong with thinking "what will look good on my app." In fact, you are a step ahead if you are thinking that. Is the whole point of life to get into PA school? Obviously not. But it's a competitive field and before investing any major time into something, you need to consider if it's worthwhile and if it'll help you achieve your goal.

First question - are you already working in health care? If not, this should be your main focus. EMT, CNA, whatever, just start racking up paid patient care hours. Shadowing is also more important. But if you already have shadowed and are working in health care, then yes, research is a nice little extra on your application.

I worked in research for two years and the main two things I learned were: 1) don't trust research, research results are skewed for profit, and 2) don't go into research, research is boring. So was it some enlightening moment where lightbulbs were going off and I grasped the true elegance and beauty of science? Hell no. At the end of the day it's just another job. You won't get the reward of working with patients, but you may get some human interaction in a somewhat medical setting (taking blood pressure, doing EEGs, stress tests, etc). And grading tests. Oh my friend you will grade so many tests you will be sick to your stomach when you even hear the initials of a test.

So yep, there it is, the down and dirty. Hope this advice helps.

Archived