nice article in annals of emergency med re: pa's.

Halfway through I'm thinking "why the hell are they waiting for a CT with this presentation?"......

because most surgeons are cowards, not cowboys. lawyers made them that way. the 10% false + rate for appy surgery is no longer "acceptable".

I know 1 surgeon who takes every kid with a r/o appy presentation right to the o.r., puts a scope in and visualizes the appendix directly. if nl. he pulls the scope out and closes. faster and safer than ct or delay to get ct.

i think you could actually consider "my pa's" a compliment...this doc had no shame in attaching his name to these all-star PAs. plus, he uses the pronouns 'we' and 'us' :)

I see where you are coming from but the possessive is still a throwback to physician'S assistant.

"MY" docs still say this stuff and I am not offended in the least. The younger one's never do this as I am older than most of them. It's always the older ones. I find it as a sign of admiration and relationship rather than derogatory in nature (as an earlier post already mentioned).

Despite the my PA part, I am a huge fan of this statement: When my PA says “see this patient now” I drop everything that's not a baby and comply. I appreciate that sort of response as they know that when I say that, I am not F'ing around!

Pat

Archived