To PA's that took the PANRE after September 2011

I would agree with andersenpa re: caq instead of the PANRE. PA practice has changed a great deal since the beginning of the profession when most if not all PAs were in primary care. By the AAPA stats almost 50% are in specialty or sub-specialty practice now. I think it's time the NCCPA and AAPA get with the times. I agree that a PA should be initially certified by passing the PANCE. From then on certification is continued based on continuing education and perhaps a every 10 year exam like board certified physicians. BUT the board certification should be in the area of practice just like our supervising physicians. I am not ok with going to 10 years but having to do a "project" and take a primary care re-certification exam. I work in surgery and have for most of my career. I really don't see myself doing primary care. Besides, my employer and I really don't want to spend my CME money on conferences that a)don't benefit my employer in the work that I do for them and b) is only to pass a test every 6 years that even they don't see the sense of.

In looking back on a few questions I remember from yesterdays PANRE does anyone know if NCCPA will respond to a query into a bad question? It was a "which one is not done" sort of question but all the answers were correct (I know from experience at work - involved urine tox screen drugs) I chose one of the two best answers for that one.

I would agree with everything CCLudlow says above.

I have only ever worked in Surgery, we write for Consulting MDs for

almost everything regarding inpatient care at our hospitals, and I am asked by my employer

to attend Specialty Specific CME all the time, but have to opt for the

Primary Care CME instead. It is a particular thorn in all our sides, believe me.

I am due to take my second recert next year. I have been in a specialty my entire PA career. I am dreading taking this test as much as I dreaded it last time. I am a good test-taker but I hate having to dedicate hours and hours of my time to study for a test that has almost no relevancy to my practice. I have no plans to ever change specialties so the test won't help me in the future either. I have emailed the NCCPA on three separate occasions voicing my dissent over the expected upcoming changes. I always get a reply saying thanks for my input and they are evaluating all options. Do I really think they are? No. I think their mind is made up and we will be subjected to whatever they deem important. I am dreading more busywork aka CAQ and MOC - especially since my SP is grandfathered. This work will be all mine. No teaming up to do the tasks as the NCCPA espouses in their utopian ideas.

I would love to be a part of a change. Problem is, I have no idea how to start or what the rules and regulations are. I hear some PAs talking about starting another certification board. But how does that work? It can't be that easy just to set it up. Don't they have to get recognized by the individual states? I am happy to be a part of a grass roots change. I know a lot of other PAs would be too.

I would agree with everything CCLudlow says above.

I have only ever worked in Surgery, we write for Consulting MDs for

almost everything regarding inpatient care at our hospitals, and I am asked by my employer

to attend Specialty Specific CME all the time, but have to opt for the

Primary Care CME instead. It is a particular thorn in all our sides, believe me.

There's no reason why you'd need to take a PC CME more often than every 6th yr.

And I wouldn't even waste my CME funds and time on that. I stopped going to those conferences altogether. Just buy a few review books, study for 2 weeks, take the PANRE and you're done.

I am due to take my second recert next year. I have been in a specialty my entire PA career. I am dreading taking this test as much as I dreaded it last time. I am a good test-taker but I hate having to dedicate hours and hours of my time to study for a test that has almost no relevancy to my practice. I have no plans to ever change specialties so the test won't help me in the future either. I have emailed the NCCPA on three separate occasions voicing my dissent over the expected upcoming changes. I always get a reply saying thanks for my input and they are evaluating all options. Do I really think they are? No. I think their mind is made up and we will be subjected to whatever they deem important. I am dreading more busywork aka CAQ and MOC - especially since my SP is grandfathered. This work will be all mine. No teaming up to do the tasks as the NCCPA espouses in their utopian ideas.

I would love to be a part of a change. Problem is, I have no idea how to start or what the rules and regulations are. I hear some PAs talking about starting another certification board. But how does that work? It can't be that easy just to set it up. Don't they have to get recognized by the individual states? I am happy to be a part of a grass roots change. I know a lot of other PAs would be too.

Perhaps someone here with insight can tell us what OUR representative body, the AAPA, is able to do about this.

What is the leverage or influence the AAPA has with the NCCPA.

I honestly don't know.

Just took many second PANRE two days ago. Got the results today and passed. I studied the "official" AAPA recommended book, knew the 6oo questions from the two practice test. Also studies a ecent Packrat which seemed similar to the books questions in content. The exam had maybe 10 questions I recognized. It sucked. Bunch of wierd questions about OB, ped. I swear I guessed on 1/2, mostly educated guesses but I had no idea on a lot. It's stupid. I got a 579 (379) is passing. The NCCPA stated the pass rate is 96%! I really don't know what the test was for. I work in ortho and the ortho questions were terrible! I got an 80% in ortho, that's a joke being in ortho for 10 years! I also do urgent care on weekends for 10 years. No urgent care questions beside a few crappy pneumonia questions. The test was not particularly difficult, I just did not know most of the answers after studying 850 questions! The test is junk. i'm pretty sure taking a month and studying your butt off with questions will do it. Again, the pass rate is 96%. I don't know who would fail it. Not ahving enough time because your not used to answering a bunch of questions and looking at what may be important would be the problem. I think studying gets you in the groove of reading and answering 240 questions without smacking the computer. It also gets your back ready to sit there 4 friggin hours! Anyway. It's the second time I passed. I studied about an hour a day, 90% with questions for 3 months. NOT FUN.

took PANRE for the 4th time on Monday. Found out today passed by a wide margin and scored pretty high. Went thru the Appleton and Lange book once last week. I had postponed because of the very many scary posts on the other PANRE thread.

I have been doing Trauma/SCC for almost 20yrs now, so all my PANRE exams have been while I have been specialized.

There were some questions that were just poor quality questions but overall the exam was ok.

We do a lot of internal medicine with our Trauma pts and in surgical critical care because the majority are old with lots of co-morbidities. It is an incentive to stay up to date, or at least look up on a regular basis information that has gotten out dated or rusty.

It is easy to say today I'll lever leave "x" specialty but I would hate to be limited in doing so because of a change that would have me certifying in my area of specialty only. Not sure I want to be boxed in like that.

This is my first PANRE and I thought it was easier than the PANCE. I took it once and on the last day you can take it 3 days ago! Got results this morning. I am a very good procrastinator, always have been. Now, you must consider that now working 6 years you get some clinical experience. MANY of the questions I thought were extremely easy, others figure out with the info provided, some hard but had pretty good idea what the answer was, and some with what the heck feeling. I thought it was very fair. I actually came out thinking "some of themtoo easy, did I pass?" I used newest Zarbock/O'Connell and the USLME step 2 (one of my favorite- used for PANCE also). My buddy and I also utilized Medscape,Wikipedia. The key is to study multiple sources. Worked in IM for 1.5 years, Pain Management 1.5 years, Rad Onc 1.5 years, and back to Pain Management for 1.5 years. If you used Zarbock and USLME 2- you WILL pass. Very few answers you can't go back and not find in those books. You must also pay close attention to the test question and what it asks. USLME step 2 has AWESOME section in ER for common drug SE, interactions, overdose, withdraw symptoms. GREAT acronyms also. There are some sections in USMLE that are lacking and same with Zarbock- work well together.

took PANRE for the 4th time on Monday. Found out today passed by a wide margin and scored pretty high. Went thru the Appleton and Lange book once last week. I had postponed because of the very many scary posts on the other PANRE thread.

I have been doing Trauma/SCC for almost 20yrs now, so all my PANRE exams have been while I have been specialized.

There were some questions that were just poor quality questions but overall the exam was ok.

We do a lot of internal medicine with our Trauma pts and in surgical critical care because the majority are old with lots of co-morbidities. It is an incentive to stay up to date, or at least look up on a regular basis information that has gotten out dated or rusty.

It is easy to say today I'll lever leave "x" specialty but I would hate to be limited in doing so because of a change that would have me certifying in my area of specialty only. Not sure I want to be boxed in like that.

We do all the medical management as well.... although my fellow PAs and I often joke that depsite this fact, "our" version of medical management is probably off base from the accepted generic NCCPA version. Glycemic management, HTN control, etc...

Waiting to see when I PANRE again next yr.

We do all the medical management as well.... although my fellow PAs and I often joke that depsite this fact, "our" version of medical management is probably off base from the accepted generic NCCPA version. Glycemic management, HTN control, etc...

Waiting to see when I PANRE again next yr.

Andersen---LOL!!! It was like a practice question I had over the weekend about a trauma case..MVC, splenomegly and pallor asking what physical finding would lead me to exclude trauma as cause of splenomegly...paraphrased but was the gist. I'm think, WTH..nothing! Answer was "generalized lymphadenopathy" Uh, yeah, not quite sure where that falls in my eval in the Trauma bay ;)

The questions I had re: HTN and glycemic control/DM (non ICU) were, IMHO, pretty straight forward. I did have a few questions that I was like "really?! where did this come from?!?" but overall it wasn't the absolute nightmare I'd been dreading for months.

Mostly, just glad I'm done until 2018(or 2017 if I take in year 5 again)

I took the Las Vegas prep course recently and took the PANRE mid December. This was my second recert and unfortunately I failed it. I thought the questions were "weird" and not in the area of what I call general at all. I still have two chances next year but have no idea how I could prepare more for the exam.

I took the Las Vegas prep course recently and took the PANRE mid December. This was my second recert and unfortunately I failed it. I thought the questions were "weird" and not in the area of what I call general at all. I still have two chances next year but have no idea how I could prepare more for the exam.

USLMS Step 2 First Aid 6/25/03 publication

I have been a PA for 11 yrs and recently took the PANRE in August ( failed with an updated score 297), then I retook it again on 12/19/2011 (received the bad news of a score of 320) To me the second time I had so much confidence and when I walked out of that center I had a good feeling that I will passed. I am extremely depressed that I had spent so much time yet this second score is not possible. Does anyone feels that the recent exam score is not accurate?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so 2012 is my re-cert cycle. I plan to start early this time. What the heck are we supposed to study for this new test? Everyone mentioned the test has changed in the last year, but I can't find any consensus on a good study reference guide. I've re-certed 3 times but this one has me a tad spooked. Also, I see no late 2011 study guides for this "new" test. I'm not paying for some conference as i am giving myself enough time...4 months to study. But study what????

I just got off the phone with the NCCPA, the pass rate is down to 89% for all of 2011 which includes pre-revision test takers. I am trying to get the "post-PANRE" revision pass rates, but they are looking to be MUCH lower then years past. They were NOT very helpful giving me this information as well.

just notified that next year is my fifth year, so I'm on this antiquated trail to "clinical competence". I took the last 2 recerts by pathway 2. Notably there were many questions (1-2 %) for which no answer could be found!!! I suspect PANRE is no different. The A**Holes who make up this test think is is funny to put in questions like this. Hate this whole process: the money and time wasted; the anxiety and hours taking practice tests. None of this will help me at the bedside to be a better clinician. After all, isn't that what we all want? This is my 40th year of clinical practice. If I ain't figured out by now I don't think passing another Bull**** test will mean much. Just saying... Just venting...

Archived