To PA's that took the PANRE after September 2011

I, too, would be interested in what ppl think about this version of the PANRE

I felt it was very challenging and completely different than the one I took 5 years ago.

I have heard this from others, as well, so I don't feel alone in my perception.

Whether the test was "fair" or not, I will leave it to others to debate.

I am angered that Board Certified PAs need to continually recertify in the first place.

Just another thought, (and to keep this thread on the front page for another day...)

Does anyone know what the NCCPA did with the bank of questions that had been used

for the now-defunct Take Home Recertification Exam?

I am betting that that group of questions has been incorporated into the PANRE

but I would like a confirmation, if anyone knows...

My 3rd. Passed. I did feel I struggled more with this version however.

I am trying to chalk it up to too many years in a Specialty.

I am trying to be objective about it.

But I continue to feel unhappy about "recertifying",

although the prevailing thought, I see, is that

"it is what it is" and "enjoy your recert"

Ha.

I too feel unhappy about the recertification ! I just passed my PANRE, and I thought it was VERY different from previous tests and practice tests. I did pass, and for that I am sooooo happy, but I think the 6 year cycles should change in a way that we can prove that we can practice well IN the area of medicine where we practice.

I too feel unhappy about the recertification ! I just passed my PANRE, and I thought it was VERY different from previous tests and practice tests. I did pass, and for that I am sooooo happy, but I think the 6 year cycles should change in a way that we can prove that we can practice well IN the area of medicine where we practice.

I would have to agree...

I feel like I had about 220 questions that began with

"a __ year old patient presents to the (ED / your clinic ) complaining of

(you name it) and here are their labs *(x,y,z)

so what is your next intervention......?

blah blah-blah blah blah...

Fine for anyone practicing in ED, family medicine, IM etc....

for those of us in specialty services (is it really about 47 % of PAs now?)

not so much.

I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think cramming for

scan-tron tests such as these test much more than our ability to - well - cram

for scan-tron tests.....

In my humble opinion, that is.

I just took my second recert today. I've been in a surgical specialty for 11 years now and feel that this one was more difficult than the one I took 6 years ago. Was not a broad based as I expected, seemed to focus on about 3 or 4 specific areas as opposed to a general knowledge exam. Was unable to go to a course so had to study from books. Picked up the AAPA approved study guide as it received decent reviews but I found it lacking in many areas. A few items on the test weren't anywhere to be found in the AAPA review book. What PA review book omits viral exanthems? As I looked forward to this exam and now that I've taken it, I really don't understand the reasoning behind our having to recert by exam every 5-6 years. My wife is a FNP and took her cert exam once. 16 years ago. Now all she does is have to log continuing education to satisfy her certification. I don't know any surgeons who have to retake the USMLE step 3 (their general medicine exam) in order to continue to practice medicine. Yes they have to take an exam every 10 years to maintain board certification "in their specialty", but not in general medicine. I don't know, I think the every 6 years thing stinks and is not valuable except to the coffers of the NCCPA and to those academics who want to tout the justification of the exam. Why is it we pay to log CME? Here in California, PAs don't have to continue certification in order to practice. You have to pass the PANCE in order to be licensed initially. All that is required is CME (50 hours I believe). CME does not have to be logged. The PA only has to provide proof IF audited.

Just a few thoughts, off to make dinner and yes this is my first post here.

I just took my second recert today. I've been in a surgical specialty for 11 years now and feel that this one was more difficult than the one I took 6 years ago. Was not a broad based as I expected, seemed to focus on about 3 or 4 specific areas as opposed to a general knowledge exam. Was unable to go to a course so had to study from books. Picked up the AAPA approved study guide as it received decent reviews but I found it lacking in many areas. A few items on the test weren't anywhere to be found in the AAPA review book. What PA review book omits viral exanthems? As I looked forward to this exam and now that I've taken it, I really don't understand the reasoning behind our having to recert by exam every 5-6 years. My wife is a FNP and took her cert exam once. 16 years ago. Now all she does is have to log continuing education to satisfy her certification. I don't know any surgeons who have to retake the USMLE step 3 (their general medicine exam) in order to continue to practice medicine. Yes they have to take an exam every 10 years to maintain board certification "in their specialty", but not in general medicine. I don't know, I think the every 6 years thing stinks and is not valuable except to the coffers of the NCCPA and to those academics who want to tout the justification of the exam. Why is it we pay to log CME? Here in California, PAs don't have to continue certification in order to practice. You have to pass the PANCE in order to be licensed initially. All that is required is CME (50 hours I believe). CME does not have to be logged. The PA only has to provide proof IF audited.

Just a few thoughts, off to make dinner and yes this is my first post here.

THANKING GOD, a Kindred Spirit !!!!!

Good on ya !!!

I work in a Specialty, obviously.

I am finding it more difficult as the years go by :-/

Anyone else?

Other PAs I work with (Cardiothoracic, General/Vascular/Trauma and Ortho) and I agree, there is a gradual "down-trending" of scores on the PANRE the more we take it. I will be happy if I score on the exam I took today the same as 6 years ago but I'm doubtful. Yes it's more difficult as the years go by to recert in a generalist exam. That's why we have consultants and hospitalists.

Yes, as I get older, everything is more difficult! I can't read as comfortably, and don't retain as much of what I read.

I am also in a very unique practice environment, a specialty, I guess, AND I don't have any work interaction with other providers.

I'm also acutely aware of time and how precious it is, at this stage, and regret having to spend ANY of it studying pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, etc, that I will likely not encounter once in the next 6 years.

I am all for a 10 yr recert cycle as long as we don't have to do a busy work project. more cme would be fine with me. 150 hrs every 2 yrs and recert every ten? bring it.

Or 100 hrs as it is now but it all has to be relevant to my specialty. I can attend my state board review course every yr for easy cme but its fundamentally a scam. I get nothing out of it...it doesn't advance my practice.

Or 100 hrs as it is now but it all has to be relevant to my specialty. I can attend my state board review course every yr for easy cme but its fundamentally a scam. I get nothing out of it...it doesn't advance my practice.

if you do the caq at some point your cme to recert has to be specialty specific:

http://www.nccpa.net/PDFs/CAQ Policies.pdf

basically 150 hrs of 300 every 6 yrs in your specialty

just a thought... I had been advised before I took the PANCE this year not to study keywords/phrases from Medical students... it is my understanding that these were all over prior tests in the past... but I did not feel like they were all over the PANCE test I took. However, I had found that most study books and exam master are full of these...

so was the test material actually harder or were the descriptions of diseases more vague?

Archived