International & Seasonal Job Opportunities?

I want to be a PA. I also love medical mission work. Ideally I would like to become a PA and work seasonally in the US and then spend the rest of the year doing mission work (perhaps in Central America).

* Is this a reasonable goal or am I being too idealistic?

* What are some different options for seasonal work? I have read that some PAs work seasonally at ski resorts etc. and I would love to hear about various options and experiences.

* Is becoming a PA a good option if I want to work internationally in underserved areas? Or would I be better off becoming a nurse practitioner? It seems like nursing is a more recognized profession in other countries from what I have read.

* Does anyone have any recommendations for volunteer experience/shadowing in the US that would relate to these future goals? Maybe shadowing a PA that works in an underserved area? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your advice/thoughts/opinions!

There are plenty of volunteer opportunities for PAs. Unfortunately, we are still not recognized by Doctors Without Borders. An important thing to recognize there though is that NPs aren't either. They are only able to function as nurses in that organization.

Here's some info on volunteering:

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/22571-seeking-medical-mission/#entry247350

As far as seasonal work goes, it's doable, but I'd recommend having at least a few years of experience before you start down that road. I have over 3 years of experience and still wouldn't feel ready for something like that. Just my 2 cents.

Plenty of people on this forum have done mission and/or international work with various groups, whether they are faith-based or just nonprofit based.  Three of my current coworkers have done these- two in Central America and one even in Nigeria at the end of the Ebola epidemic.  

Mission work generally isn't paid, so you need a full-time job to supplement yourself so you're able to do the work on the side.  It's generally good to have experience working as a PA before you actually jump into this however.

I think the biggest challenge is finding that job in the US that will allow seasonal work. Don't give you your dream.  I rarely remember seeing seasonal job offers for PAs, but not of lately.  I went to PA school with the goal of devoting my career living and working in the developing world. It did work out that way as I ended back in the states.

I once did see an entire family practice ( I think it was a Christian practice) whose whole charter was to rotate their physicians between the US and Africa on a regular basis.  However, when I inquired about their PA position they were advertising, they made it clear that the role of the PA was to cover for the physicians in the US while the physicians (only) were traveling abroad ( and I sensed a very low opinion of PAs in that practice so I ran for the  hills).

Five years ago I created my own practice, with one of several goals, was being able to go overseas to work (diasters, short term work) without having to ask anyone's persmission. However, little did I know at the time, that being the owner is a ball and chain that says that if you are gone for more than a week your practice will go bankrupt. My practice is closing at the end of the month. I did, recently, apply for a position in Dubai (where I first worked overseas 33 years ago). That gives me overseas living but not working among the poor as I had intended.

So keep dreaming for that perfect aranagement of 6 months here and 6 months there.

I think the biggest challenge is finding that job in the US that will allow seasonal work. Don't give you your dream.  I rarely remember seeing seasonal job offers for PAs, but not of lately.  I went to PA school with the goal of devoting my career living and working in the developing world. It did work out that way as I ended back in the states.

I once did see an entire family practice ( I think it was a Christian practice) whose whole charter was to rotate their physicians between the US and Africa on a regular basis.  However, when I inquired about their PA position they were advertising, they made it clear that the role of the PA was to cover for the physicians in the US while the physicians (only) were traveling abroad ( and I sensed a very low opinion of PAs in that practice so I ran for the  hills).

Five years ago I created my own practice, with one of several goals, was being able to go overseas to work (diasters, short term work) without having to ask anyone's persmission. However, little did I know at the time, that being the owner is a ball and chain that says that if you are gone for more than a week your practice will go bankrupt. My practice is closing at the end of the month. I did, recently, apply for a position in Dubai (where I first worked overseas 33 years ago). That gives me overseas living but not working among the poor as I had intended.

So keep dreaming for that perfect aranagement of 6 months here and 6 months there.

Sorry to hear that your practice is closing.  Was it an issue with the large health groups/hospitals in your area?

Archived