Should I even think of being a PA with a 3 yr old and being older??

Hi all,

I'm 40 yrs old, I'm married with a 3 yr old daughter. Am I crazy for even thinking of being a PA? I have a B.A. in Advertising and some science classes. But I still need 5 more classes before applying to a program. We are struggling financially BIG TIME and it's causing me ALOT of stress. We can't pay the bills. I'm thinking of just getting my ADN in nursing. But, gee, it would be great to be a PA. I'm so jealous of other women that are my age and have great careers. I'm worried about not being there for my family.

Any advise would be appreciated!

Well you have to consider...

pre-reqs is 2 years long, that's ~5-20K in student loans

CNA class is 1 month and $500, then you have to work as a CNA (or go EMT), get paid 10-15/hr (depending where you live)

PA school tuition will be 40-80K, and an extra ~50-60K to live, as you can't work in PA school

it will be hard, stressful, tough, and even if you try your hardest, there is a possibility it will take you more than one try to get in

once in, you will barely have time for your family and/or self

If after reading all that you still really want it, truly want it, not just wanted it for a couple weeks or it sounds nice, then I think you should go for it.

Hi gumby, I totally understand your dilemma. I have two kids myself and know all about a 3 yr old's life and its relevance. I just got into a PA school. I agree with most people's posts here: it is a challenging program to get in, the cost is super high compare to some of the other options you are given here, and it is a very high stress two years of schooling. Personally, I waited till both of my kids grew up to be semi-independant for their daily needs and homework routine before I considered going back to school. As PAMAC suggested, you should try for some of the other programs like ADN, MA, LPN, that are not too expensive. However, at present, I teach at School of Nursing in their accelerated program for BSN and I can tell you that it is NO easier, neither less stressful. ALL accelerated programs that I am aware of goes pretty much throughout the year with barely two weeks of break TOTAL. It is easy to feel burned out, especially with a kid! If you have someone who knows your personality and your situation, who is working in the healthcare field, try to talk to them and see what are your best options. I got a lot of advises about the program and when to start, what direction to take etc from my pediatrician and now that I got accepted, I can be soooooo grateful for her guidance. Goodluck!

I did a career change from BS Bus Adm to PA in my late 30s, I too looked into an BSN as a second degree. The thing was the pre-req required to get into a PA program and a BSN program were essentially the same. (I think the PA program you had to take 1 more adv phisilogy class). Also based on when I could finish the pre-reqs and application cycle it turned out that I could have my BSN in April or a PA-C in May of the same year. So no brainer PA-C so I just figured out how to make it work finacially, and I did not have a kid to support.

In my class there was 1 single mom with a deadbeat non-paying child support father who made it work. My study partner had 4 kids when she started PA school at age 40 with kids ages 3,14,16,21 but she also had a very supportive husband.

If you really want to do it it can be done, but not without sacrafice. Good Luck

There is some money out there from agencies such as the Bureau of Indian Affairs, National Health Service Corps, Bureau of Prisons...They may or may not appeal to you as a long term career option but if they pay your school and you have a promised job when you graduate..it can look awful appealing if money is a big hinderance.

Wells Fargo has a Med Cap loan...not sure of your credit situation but they were kind to me...something to look at, see if it works for your situation.

Thanks to everybody that replied. Everyone had really good points and showed me the reality of my situation. It makes me sad though. Sad and mad b/c I didn't pursue this when I was in my 20's or early 30's. I just now "woke up" when I turned 40 this year. If I was younger I would go for PA for sure! I just don't want ANOTHER regret on my hands. I just don't want to live, I want to LIVE. I have alot to think about. Thanks again all, and good luck!!

agree with a lot of what pamac said above. it's about the whole application package. # of hce hrs(and quality of those hrs, direct vs non-pt care), gpa, community service, gre(where applicable), shadowing(I shudder to say that as I think shadowing is pretty much bs although some programs seem to think it is important in 2011), how well you come across at interview, etc

lots of folks do it in their 40's. it is doable but certainly not a walk in the park.

Gumbi,

I started PA school @ 53, will be 55 when I start to practice. Please, don't let your age be a barrier. Plan the path to get there. ADN => BS in something and include PA school prereqs => PA school. My path started mid 40's. I have a BS in computer science (i.e. no PA prereqs). I did corporate IT for a living and FF/medic on the side. Took an early retirement package from downsizing, took more classes, worked more as FF/medic and EMS instructor, now in PA school.

You could wind up with a good income, tuition reimbursement, and great HCE as an ADN. Start there and see what you want to do.

But, please, don't think you're too old. I'm the only student in my class with an AARP card - but I'm holding my own.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you ohiovolffemtp, that makes me feel better that I'm not that old. I am going to start the PA process right away. I'll figure out what to get an ADN in. Maybe an x-ray tech or something. But we're moving from TX to Cincinnati this Spring. So I think I should concentrate on moving first. Then I'll get things in gear towards my PA degree. Good luck in PA school! That's great that you went for it. Good for you. You're an inspiration to me.

Gumbi,

ADN is Associate Degree in Nursing, gets you your RN license in Ohio (and I think lots of places). Only downside is that right now the Cincinnati hospitals are mostly hiring BSN's, not RN's w. associate degrees. I'm in the Cincinnati area - I'd be glad to talk with you about where I took prereqs, what was good, what wasn't, PA programs near Cincinnati, etc.

Gumbi,

I started PA school @ 53, will be 55 when I start to practice. Please, don't let your age be a barrier. Plan the path to get there. ADN => BS in something and include PA school prereqs => PA school. My path started mid 40's. I have a BS in computer science (i.e. no PA prereqs). I did corporate IT for a living and FF/medic on the side. Took an early retirement package from downsizing, took more classes, worked more as FF/medic and EMS instructor, now in PA school.

You could wind up with a good income, tuition reimbursement, and great HCE as an ADN. Start there and see what you want to do.

But, please, don't think you're too old. I'm the only student in my class with an AARP card - but I'm holding my own.

Very encouraging post! Thank you! :))

Archived