Traveling for rotations - does this get expensive?

really depends where the rotations are, how you get there, and what the sites offer.

I did away rotations(from drexel/hahnemann) in washington, d.c., hartford, ct, and rochester, ny.

I drove to all of these and got free food and housing on site so these rotations were cheaper for me than staying at home.

Thanks. So for most of them, they are within driving distance or you can get free room and board?

this was the early 90's and a lot may have changed since then....we did have some rotation options as far away as michigan which I guess is driving distance if you are motivated....

According to the 25th annual report by PAEA (2008-2009) page 13

% of programs paying for this category:

Student housing 13.3%

Support for student travel for clinical training 12.4%

It does not say the housing is specific to the clinical rotation only, but is stating how many programs pay for student housing in general. This may not be a good reflection of what % pays for out of the area clinical housing.

• 2 weeks later...

for rotations where you travel, most offer housing. I believe the rule is if the site is more than an hour away, housing is included. The rotations will list if there is housing. For instance, the rotations in Chicago, Florida, Washington, CT, and western PA all have housing....

What can get pricy is having to fly back if you don't drive to the site. If you set up your own rotations you have to find your own housing. Is there a particular site you were intersted in...?

• 3 months later...

I'm currently a second year PCOM student in the middle of rotations. PCOM pays for your housing if you're more than 70(?) miles outside the city (as stated before). You have to pay for your own transportation costs to get to the rotation sites though. Classmates who go to Florida drive to Virginia and take the car train. It's great that you don't have to worry about rent during that time period, but if you're flying to these sites, it offsets the money you'd be saving. The sites vary in terms of what they offer for food though. I get free food at my current rotation, but most hospitals won't cover food or give you a $6 budget.

Archived