Retakes

This is not really relevant to the original question, but can I just say I'm not pleased how physics is counted in. Granted, I understand how it's obviously a science course, but I took physics I and II as a freshman in college (for my major) when I didn't know what I was doing and didn't care enough. Now it's bringing my science average down! This was really just to rant, but if anyone has some stories about how physics didn't screw them over I would not be opposed to hearing them. Trying to be optimistic here :)

I guess I should also answer the question somewhat after ranting... taking a look at the CASPA FAQ page is really helpful! There's tons of info about calculating each GPA (meaning overall, science, etc). If you're trying to find out how a non-CASPA school does it, I would assume it would be on their website, but you could always call the school and get some information about their app.

It's not uncommon for people to mature and get more serious about their future than they were as freshmen in college. That was the case for me. If it wasn't the case for you then that's awesome for you, and I'm sure you got to reap the benefits of that. I'm sorry that I apparently offended you with my short, silly rant.

And sorry to dhisle for getting your thread off track. I hope you got the answers you were looking for!

No.... I was the same way. But it is what it is, and you deal with it and compensate. Gaining that skill gets people farther than if they were to have a path cleared before them. So even though I may have felt the same way about coursework I didn't like on my record back in the day, I'm so far beyond that due to considerable academic effort that complaining about something like that just seems foreign to me now. Maybe you'll get there too. Besides, the bad grades are part of who you were back then. Why wish you could hide from it?

PAMAC I agree.....I had grades on my CASPA gpa that dated back to when I was a SENIOR in HIGH SCHOOL because I took classes concurrently at the junior college....I didnt care what my grades were back then....and that was 12 years ago, 2 bachelors, and a masters....and guess what...not caring then didnt keep me from getting into PA school now because the maturing that I did along the last decade + has made me who I am today and the recent stuff I have done was stuff that schools thought were amazing....so my advise to you is dont dwell on the stuff from the past....play up the current stuff that helps you stand out against other candidates........

The problem is if you don't hit the 3.0 cutoff most schools will not even review your app far enough to get to what could potentially make you stand out. My first attempt at college 20 years ago didn't turn out too well. For reasons I would rather not post my initial GPA was a 1.3 or so. My last 80+ hours have been at 3.5+ and my prereq's are all A's but it doesn't seem to matter because my CASPA is below a 2.5.

That is what I really hate about CASPA. I don't know why they can't figure a cummulative GPA like every other school I have looked at does. Take the GPA and total hours as reported on the transcript. That single factor was enough to drop my GPA by over half a point. I know the argument for why they do it this way but I think they are losing out on older, mature candidates that have alot to offer.

Sorry for the long rant but this whole process has been frustrating to say the least. I initially debated between NP/PA but chose PA because of the more indepth didactic and more clinical time. I have started looking at accelerated BSN's as a backup as well as med school. At 42 I would rather not spend the next 7+ years in school but I also can't spend the next 2+ years reapplying to PA programs. I'm no longer a spring chicken :)

I can say without a doubt my overall is about a 3.0. It's currently a 3.46 but I currently have 2 Ds and a C on my transcript. There isn't a reason for my C really except for the fact that I'm just not good at chemistry. I excel in all Biology courses. I did receive a D in Micro but that has alot to do with family problems and alot of thing went wrong. I'm only a junior so I still have time. I would say my Science/Course Preqs are around a 2.7 or so. So I have alot of work in the science aspect before I graduated in 2 or so years.

I can say without a doubt my overall is about a 3.0. It's currently a 3.46 but I currently have 2 Ds and a C on my transcript. There isn't a reason for my C really except for the fact that I'm just not good at chemistry. I excel in all Biology courses. I did receive a D in Micro but that has alot to do with family problems and alot of thing went wrong. I'm only a junior so I still have time. I would say my Science/Course Preqs are around a 2.7 or so. So I have alot of work in the science aspect before I graduated in 2 or so years.

You sound a lot like me, except I'm a recent graduate and don't have that high of an overall GPA. I stunk at chemistry too, got my ugly Ds and Cs in that class, same with a D in micro due to personal issues. But to answer your question, Western in CA does recalculate your GPA. I forget exactly how they do it, but I do believe they take the higher score, not sure if there's a cap on how many retakes. I can't find the piece of paper that has the information on that, it's somewhere in my boxes after I moved home, but you can double check by calling them or emailing them. They are a CASPA participating school. Currently they're my top-choice, but I'm not applying until next cycle anyways.

Archived