Jump to content

Advice regarding general discharge under honorable conditions

Recommended Posts

I would like to apply to PA school but I am concerned my discharge will affect my chance.


The super short is I was discharged from the reserves through an administrative discharge for too many absences. I received a general discharge under honorable conditions.


It is not however as simple as it might sound. Its not like I blew it off and just didn't go. Now before I go on I am perfectly happy to admit that in retrospect there are many thing I could have handled differently. While in the end I do claim ownership of these events, I do feel as though I am entirely at fault. Had I done things differently my fate would not have ended up in someone else hands, which is why I do know in the end, its my problem.


When I was in the reserves I live in Florida, my 80 year old Grandpa called me crying day because my Grandmother fell and had become bedbound. He couldn't care for her and didn't know what to do. He was freaking out, and couldn't care for her. My Aunt wanted to put Grandma in a nursing home, Grandpa didn't want that, they fought. He himself was incredibly ill. My Aunt who was the DPOA(Durable power of attorney) was NOT doing what she should have. I literally cleaned out my bank account to get on the next plan to go try and help them. This of course happens just prior to a drill weekend. I call my LPO to see how I need to handle this as I have been instructed to do when missing a drill weekend. He tells me not to worry, it will be an excused absence. Great. I get to California and see the situation was bad. Without making you read about a bunch of drama I realized I would need to stay a while to get things figured out. To say the situation was stressed and FUBAR is an understatement. Again I call my LPO(and yes I realize this is where I should have contacted the NOSC). He tells me not be concerned, I can have a few more excused absences if needed. By now I've been in CA for a little over two months and have missed 3 drill weekends. I realize I need to live in CA, my grandparents really need me. My friends monitor the moving company to ship my things, and I call the NOSC to find out how to transfer. Very abbreviated chain of events follows: This when I call the NOSC to hear I am being discharged. Uh what, I have excused absences right? Wrong, none of my absences were marked excused by unit. Now I contact my CO who has only heard I have not shown or called for several weekends. Nor did I answer calls placed by LPO to me to find out where I was. I'm kind of floored to be hearing this as I was the medical LPO for my unit and have received nothing but must promotes since joining this unit. I contacted the NOSC Master Chief to be told I was lying and there were making an example out of people who did not show up to drill. That the command had been having a lot of problems with attendance. Here is where I should have down something more, but I didn't. I was extremely stressed by family situation, depressed being betrayed, embarrassed by the *** chewing I'd received by my Master Chief and on top of it all I also found out that morning I was pregnant. I kinda thought I was going to lose my mind. So I didn't do anything, I just let myself be discharged. The biggest regret of my life. I miss it every day. I have a hard time even writing about it.


So now that you have my background, here are my questions.


A) Will this keep me from getting into school?

B) How do I address this without acting like I think its none of my fault? Part of is still pissed at this LPO, but I also see where I should have done more/things differently.

C) I'm working on my personal statement, and I want to write about my Navy experiences, they made a huge impact on who I am and my belief in myself. Should I mention this?


I just don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly? Don't bring it up. Be prepared if someone at the program brings it up, but I'll bet they won't. It won't keep you out of PA school unless the person interviewing you is a 20 year plus vet that knows the difference in the dc's. I think your explanation is all that's needed. IF you don't make a big deal out of it, they won't either. Entrance boards are much more interested in your science gpa, work experiences and your interview personality. Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, it is on the application form. It asks if you have ever been terminated from any position, military or civilian etc. Having said that, I agree with Cideous. DOn't avoid it if asked but dont bring it up if not asked. If its on your app then answer it succinctly and dont go into specifics (Like you did here lol) I doubt they will ask you about it in your interview BUT, be ready to give a succinct answer if they do. Read Rodican's book. there is a section in it that addresses this. With regards to the PS, Yes mention your contributing factors from the Navy but don't volunteer the D/C (NAVY=Never Again Volunteer Yourself) LOL. Good luck shipmate!





Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

I have heard (but honestly don't know anything about it) that you can somehow petition to get this changed to an honorable D/C





Can you change your OTH status? YES!


The National Archives and Records Administration only stores Military Service Records, they cannot make changes or corrections to these records or to your discharge status. You will need to apply to the review board for your respective service branch for corrections or changes.


•If your military service record requires a change or correction, you will need to submit DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Records to the relevant service branch.



•If you need to change your discharge status you will generally need to submit DD Form 293, Application for the Review of Discharge or Dismissal from the Armed Forces of the United States to the relevant service branch.

(DO NOT submit these forms to the National Archives. Be sure to use the appropriate address for your service branch as listed on the back of the form.)



























Discharge Review Boards Military.com




Are you a veteran who needs to change, correct, or modify your discharge or dismissal? If you qualify and take the proper steps you can apply for a review of discharge and possibly have it changed.

Each of the military services maintains a discharge review board with authority to change, correct or modify discharges or dismissals that are not issued by a sentence of a general courts-martial. The board has no authority to address medical discharges. The veteran or, if the veteran is deceased or incompetent, the surviving spouse, next of kin or legal representative may apply for a review of discharge by writing to the military department concerned, using DoD Form 293. This form may also be obtained at a VA regional office, from veterans organizations. However, if the discharge was more than 15 years ago, a veteran must petition the appropriate service Board for Correction of Military Records using DoD Form 149, which is discussed in the “Correction of Military Records” above. A discharge review is conducted by a review of an applicant’s record and, if requested, by a hearing before the board.

Discharges awarded as a result of a continuous period of unauthorized absence in excess of 180 days make persons ineligible for VA benefits regardless of action taken by discharge review boards, unless VA determines there were compelling circumstances for the absence. Boards for the correction of military records also may consider such cases.

Veterans with disabilities incurred or aggravated during active military service may qualify for medical or related benefits regardless of separation and characterization of service. Veterans separated administratively under other than honorable conditions may request that their discharge be reviewed for possible recharacterization, provided they file their appeal within 15 years of the date of separation. Questions regarding the review of a discharge should be addressed to the appropriate discharge review board at the address listed on DoD Form 293.

Contacting Service Review Boards:

Air Force: Air Force Review Boards Agency.

Army: Army Review Board Agency (ARBA).

Note: The Army now accepts online applications for changes using the ACTSOnline system.

Coast Guard: Board for Correction of Military Records of the Coast Guard

Navy and Marine Corps:



Sound Off...What do you think? Join the discussion...

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More