Pre-Interview PA in Australia

Hi everyone!

I'm a pre-interview PA living in Melbourne, but looking to do a Grad Cert in PA starting in June. This is a new program for Australia, so we are on the cusp of something new and exciting!

About me, I'm a Canadian trained EMT, now working in Melbourne. Have worked in a rural setting in Alberta, Canada, then did 4 years working in New Zealand (where I was born), now I live and work here, since 2001. Have been an EMT (or Paramedic, as they are called here) for 16 years. Really like my job, the best part is the patient contact. Love the oldies and kids, plus the autonomy.

I actually heard about the PA program in 1993 while I was living in Canada. I had to go to the library and look up stuff the old fashioned way, pre-internet. The programs were all in the US, and I didn't have a Green Card, so couldn't move there. Study was going to be expensive, so I made the decision to be a medic. Has been great, really love it. Oh, and Medical School was out too, just didn't have the grades at the time, plus a whole range of other issues....anyway....

So I was reading an on-line article about the University of Queensland PA program graduating their first class this year. The program has been set up using PA's from the US, and it seems to be a robust program. You do a Grad Certificate first, then move onto a Masters in PA, which means you can work. Not sure how it compares with US programs, I will obtain more details when I (hopefully) get into the program!

Now, the big problem: Jobs. There doesn't appear to be many/any in Australia at the moment. The way it is structured at the moment, it feels like it is the US in, 1965, when Dr Stead put together the first program. We are on the cusp of something new and exciting. Australia is covered by the Medicare system, where everyone is provided health care. We also have a private health system, where you can buy health insurance, and bypass lengthy waiting lists. This of course costs quite a bit, as I'm sure it does in the US. I have private health, for my family, and it is about $200 a month for a decent cover.

Australia is also in the position of having a Doctor shortage, as everywhere seems to! They have initiated the Nurse Practitioner role, which seems to be filling a gap, but I feel that the PA role is going to be a life saver here. If we can get the Doctors on board, as well as everyone! Like I said, we are probably at the same place the US was in 1965.

My desire to do the program when there are no jobs are 2-fold. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. The role interests me, and the study will be a good further step in my role as a Paramedic. I'm concerned there will be no jobs, but I will work hard as an advocate for expanding the role. It is something I feel passionate about and even if I don't get in, I still feel passionate that we need this level of care here in Australia, to support our Doctor crisis!

Anyway, must go search for interview question tips! I already know what to wear, so need to brush up on the questions I might be asked!

Thanks guys! Proud to be a part of the forum, and hopefuly can join in as a student/qualified PA one day!

Dean

• 9 months later...

Hi, Dean! I'm surprised no one has answered you yet...did you already interview? I'm guessing so, but just in case - in my U.S. interviews they asked me why I wanted to be a PA, what my biggest failure in life was so far (rough question, eh?), what I liked about their particular program, if I understood the role of PAs, what made me stand out as a candidate, the most influential patient contact experience that occurred during my shadowing...things like that. It is risky to get the degree in something that may not be accepted soon/if at all, I've been wondering about that.. (I've been following the progression of Australian PAs very closely because I studied abroad there - home base was in Brisbane, but we traveled around a lot and it's an AMAZING country!) But because multiple programs have now sprung up, I think it will catch on....perhaps wishful thinking, but...anyway, good luck, or I hope it has already turned out well for you! Make the profession catch on there!! :)

• 1 month later...

E 'a risky move for something that can not be accepted if / where appropriate, I wondered about this .. (I have followed the development of Australian BB very closely, because I studied abroad there - Basic was in Brisbane, but we traveled a lot and is beautiful country), but since most programs have now been published in I think is the catch .. .. Perhaps wishful thinking, but ... Anyway, good luck and I hope he has already demonstrated its good for you! Get the capture area of ​​life!

Archived