Working 2 jobs

Do you think working at a teaching hospital for your first job is a wise choice? On one hand you obviously have a lot of access to knowledge, but on the other hand you may take a back seat to interns if you get stuck with a bad doc.

really institution specific. my first job was at a place with a residency and all the docs just treated me as an intern. after a yr there I taught the incoming class of interns.

Do you think working at a teaching hospital for your first job is a wise choice? On one hand you obviously have a lot of access to knowledge, but on the other hand you may take a back seat to interns if you get stuck with a bad doc.

I'm a big fan of this idea. I tried specifically after graduation to find a job at a teaching hospital, and ended up at in a busy ED with an EM residency. As a new grad I worked alongside the EM residents and had the chance to participate in educational opportunities like weekly didactics and impromptu teaching sessions by EM attendings. As a new graduate you are certain to be slower than a seasoned PA, which may not fly to well in a community ED relying on you to move patients quickly and independently. A hospital used to being staffed with interns and off-service rotators is (sometimes unfortunately) used to having less than speedy staff and will hopefully schedule extra help accordingly.

The traditional academic setup of residents/PA's seeing the patients and presenting to the attending can be very beneficial to a new graduate; it gives you a chance to learn from an experienced EM doc, usually one with an interest in teaching. After you get a few years experience you may elect to move on to a more independent work environment, but I think the mentoring you can receive in an academic hospital as a new graduate is invaluable.

Archived