Cold-calling for Shadowing Opportunities

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck looking through a phone book and calling PAs for shadowing opportunities and how to best go about asking for one. A friend told me about a website (PASO) that lists shadowing opportunities, but the 3 PAs in my area don't have any dates in the next few months and haven't had any in the last 6+months. I'm currently volunteering at a hospital, but most of the interactions are with RNs, rarely ever do you see a PA around. Thanks!

• Administrator

Use your social network. If your social network includes zero PAs... why do you want to become one? Who inspired you to become a PA? Certainly not a "hot careers" magazine article, I expect. So.. ASK your contacts. I shadowed two PAs before admission: one my PCP knew, one my EMS medical director supervised.

I have shadowed in 3 different specialties, and found each one a different way:

1- I showed up at a primary care office (dressed nicely and with my resume) and asked the receptionist if they have any PAs willing to have prospective students shadow. I left my resume, and got a call back that day and set up times to shadow.

2- I have searched online for PAs in practices near me and called/e-mailed to see if I can shadow. I just told them that I am interested in the profession and would like to learn as much as possible before applying. I got through to an urgent care PA this way. I also spoke with many PAs that were not able to have me shadow but were very open to answer any of my questions about the profession and speak over the phone. Most PAs I have spoken to are eager to help prospective students!

3-I called the clinical coordinator at one of the schools I was applying to and asked said I was interesting in shadowing and asked it she had any suggestions about finding someone. She was nice enough to e-mail me a list of a few PAs that were willing to have me shadow! I also tried with another program, but no results, so its worth a shot!

good luck!

Archived