Cook County Emergency PA Residency (Chicago, IL)

Hello.

I am currently a resident along with one other PA at Cook County Hospital in their new (our class is the first class) EMPA residency. I think it is a fantastic program and I just wanted to put the name out there so that people can start to apply. CCH (aka J.H. Stroger Hospital) has been using PA's in the ED for many years, and they work in all parts of the ED.

http://ccparesidency.com/index.html

In broad strokes: As a PA resident you are folded into the incoming intern physician class, doing orientation with them, ACLS/PALS, Lectures etc...

The year is divided up into 13 blocks each of which amounts to a little less than a month: 1 block of orientation, 5 ER blocks w/ community ER month, 1 trauma block, 1 of emergency ortho, 1 in thepeds ER, 1 toxicology block, 2 electives and 1 block of vacation.

Lectures are every wednesday morning, journal club is a possibility if one is so inclined. Additionally, the PA residency director does a solid amount of mentoring w/ monthly meetings, and a curriculum of required reading.

Shifts are done throughout the ED and one gets exposed to everything from Fast Track to critically ill patients. PA's are not used much in resuscitation, though one gets exposure to that as well (especially during the trauma month).

Primarily, the didactics come from physicians and all shifts are done w/ an attending physician. You work alongside the PA's but oversight is always by physicians. The physician-educators and the PA's that work in the ED at Cook County are all great. It has been a fantastic 5 months for me, and I have learned a whole lot.

If you are interested, I would recommend that you contact the program at the above website.

Best!

@ LESH: He is indeed overseeing the whole PA post-grad training program at the County, though the EMPA residency falls w/in the purview of the department of emergency medicine and I have not seen Mr. West since I interviewed with him.

@EmedPA: The PA residents are remunerated on par w/ the interns so ~43K and full benefits.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm am applying to the Cook County PA EM Residency and I want to get some further information from PA's in the residency at Cook County. It's very exciting that PA's are being allowed this opportunity. I emailed the info email address and I haven't received a response. Is there someone on this forum who would be willing to give some further insight into the program? Thanks!

I'm am applying to the Cook County PA EM Residency and I want to get some further information from PA's in the residency at Cook County. It's very exciting that PA's are being allowed this opportunity. I emailed the info email address and I haven't received a response. Is there someone on this forum who would be willing to give some further insight into the program? Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Hello.

I am currently a resident along with one other PA at Cook County Hospital in their new (our class is the first class) EMPA residency. I think it is a fantastic program and I just wanted to put the name out there so that people can start to apply. CCH (aka J.H. Stroger Hospital) has been using PA's in the ED for many years, and they work in all parts of the ED.

http://ccparesidency.com/index.html

In broad strokes: As a PA resident you are folded into the incoming intern physician class, doing orientation with them, ACLS/PALS, Lectures etc...

The year is divided up into 13 blocks each of which amounts to a little less than a month: 1 block of orientation, 5 ER blocks w/ community ER month, 1 trauma block, 1 of emergency ortho, 1 in thepeds ER, 1 toxicology block, 2 electives and 1 block of vacation.

Lectures are every wednesday morning, journal club is a possibility if one is so inclined. Additionally, the PA residency director does a solid amount of mentoring w/ monthly meetings, and a curriculum of required reading.

Shifts are done throughout the ED and one gets exposed to everything from Fast Track to critically ill patients. PA's are not used much in resuscitation, though one gets exposure to that as well (especially during the trauma month).

Primarily, the didactics come from physicians and all shifts are done w/ an attending physician. You work alongside the PA's but oversight is always by physicians. The physician-educators and the PA's that work in the ED at Cook County are all great. It has been a fantastic 5 months for me, and I have learned a whole lot.

If you are interested, I would recommend that you contact the program at the above website.

Best!

Just curious, I've seen information regarding a Surgical PA Residency for Cook County Hospital on the hospital's website, but when I tried to send an email to the one provided... it bounced back.  I called and was transferred to 4 or 5 different people and no one seemed to know anything about it.  Do you happen to know if it is still in existence? 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey there,

I am looking for same. Can you please guide or provide me some information regarding shadowing under PA?? 

Thanks all..

Hello,

I am in the process of applying to a Physician Assistant program in the Chicago area. I have had difficulty finding PAs in the area to speak with and possibly shadow. Do you know of any PAs at Cook County or in the Chicago area that I could speak with.

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, they meant that if you apply Spring of '14 you would start July of '14. However, I've been told that things have been pushed back this year and they are looking at an October start date. As far as I know, they have not started accepting applications for this year. They're in the process of transitioning to a new program director, so there are some things still up in the air.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got an email from the Cook County Hospital EM residency. As was rumored, they have decided put the program on hold for one year while they switch directors change some staff. The letter said they would resume the program July 2015.

Just thought some of you might be interested....

• 3 years later...

Archived