Thank You Notes?

So I am wondering if one should send a thank you note(s) post-interview? I know that that is proper etiquette after interviewing for a job, but would this be appropriate for PA school? I don't want to come across as a brown-nose, but I don't want to seem ungrateful either... I'm leaning towards sending thank you notes to the faculty that took time out of their busy schedules to interview me (and many others), but just wanted to make sure that would be ok! Thanks!

Not at all a brown noser. I prefer a thankyou letter. It allows you one more chance to sell your strong point while thanking them at the same time. I sent thank you letters to the people I interviewed with.

The funny thing is I just switched jobs and before I could send my thank you letter, they (the interviewers) actually sent me a a thank you letter! I have never had that happen before an employer sending a candidate a thank you letter.

Definitely send a thank you note or even e-mail. Try to do it the evening after or the day after your interview. When I sent my letter I was sure to include the name of students I met with and the faculty to show the attention to detail that you have and to make you stand out. I got a phone call 2 days after my interview and the asst. program director acknowledged howprofessional my thank you note was...and he then offered me admission! So highly suggest sending a note/letter!

Personally, I dont really think they sway someone either way. In my current job my boss and I sometimes interview residency candidates and I think for the most part people just throw those letters away. In fact there are 4 unopened cards from the last three residency interview days sitting on her office desk unopened.... I didnt send emails/letters/cards to any of the places I interviewed and I got accepted at all of them. Perhaps it may help if you were on the cusp of getting an offer or if someone forgot who you were. However, I dont think it would hurt if you really wanted to take the time to write them...

I sent written cards. The point of the note wasn't to try to sway favor so that the AdCom received it after they made their choice is irrelevant. I think acting politely is a good way to go in most situations, and an interview is one of those times.

Is it a big deal either way? Prob not. Do what you feel is right.

I think it's a huge waste of time and also brown nosing. Just my opinion, I'm sure I will get hated on for this. But come on, do you really think you will get an advantage for sending a thank you compared to other applicants? Just not very professional in my opinion. Same thing for giving professors thank you notes in hope for getting a better grade. So far I got accepted by all my interviews and never once emailed, mailed or called after the interview.

I think it's a huge waste of time and also brown nosing. Just my opinion, I'm sure I will get hated on for this. But come on, do you really think you will get an advantage for sending a thank you compared to other applicants? Just not very professional in my opinion. Same thing for giving professors thank you notes in hope for getting a better grade. So far I got accepted by all my interviews and never once emailed, mailed or called after the interview.

It's NOT about getting an "advantage," it's about being professional and courteous... :)

I agree with jpagano in that I wasn't trying to suck up or get an advantage. It really shouldn't matter to my application if the adcom even reads my note. It doesn't take but a few minutes to send a sincere, brief thank you. Now, if your motive was something else, well, it wouldn't really be a TY note at that point, would it? (And that would surely be reflected in the content of your note.)

FWIW, so far, I got accepted by all of my interviews and I DID send a thank you note. Again, not because I was hoping to earn brownie points, but because I appreciated that the staff was so helpful on my interview day and that they answered my many questions. I didn't add any additional info or try to "sell" myself one last time.

The one thing you are wrong about is professionalism. A thank you LETTER (not a note) is a long established standard of professionalism after an interview.

Eh, just my opinion guys. If you TRULY are not sending it, not even 1%, because you think it will confer you some advantage, then go ahead. But I am pretty sure people are sending it crossing their fingers someone will open it and say "oh wow how professional and thoughtful, let's take them over this other candidate." Truth is they probably will never get the letter or they'll make a decision long before they do. So I just don't think it's worth the time. Okay. That's all.

- devil's advocate

Again, thanks everyone. Winterallsummer, I sent the thank you notes with clean intentions: to thank them, not to try to change their minds about who to select as a student. If I'm worthy of a seat, my interview already took care of this. If not, then I'll try again next year. I'm just a bit old fashioned when it comes to thank you letters and felt, in the end, that it was the professional way to go.

• 7 months later...

Archived