Seeking info on PA jobs for new grads in southern CA versus Phoenix AZ

I am currently a PA student in Arizona who will graduate in August 2012. My husband is in the process of applying to medical school and currently has offers in Phoenix, AZ and in southern California. So, now we are trying to decide if we should stay in AZ or make the move to CA.

Do you have any insight into the southern CA job market for a new graduate with no ties to the area? How difficult will it be to find a job?

I know I will be at a disadvantage to students from southern CA schools who have completed their rotations in the area. Most of the job listings I have seen also prefer individuals with 2-3 years of experience.

Also, any ideas for specialties that are hiring many PAs?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! :smile:

Just off the top of my head (and I'm no expert as I'm from the NW), but from what I have heard from my classmates looking in those areas, Arizona>>>>So Ca. I've heard there are some loan repayment primary-care jobs in So CA (not exactly centrally located), pain management always seems to be hiring new grads. Sometimes I see surgical subspecialty, but from what I've heard (and please someone correct me if this is inaccurate) it's tough in So CA for new grads (central CA not so bad).

Arizona would likely be a better bet, especially if you're already doing rotations there and making connections. My classmate just got a really nice general surgery offer down there.

Another thought, if you're interested in either EM or Ob/Gyn, Arrowhead in Colton, CA offers PA residencies...

I was working last night, as an ED tech, and started talking with one of the Docs and the PAs. They were both stating that CA/AZ are both PA friendly states, minus So Cal to some degree. We have numerous grads, almost all of our PA's, from AT Still University in the Phoenix area. They are all very informed and the Docs seem to be very pleased with the patient care they provide to our patients.

As I was talking to one of the PAs she stated that most in this area, which I assume to be true in California too (at least in some places), are being utilized in rural areas of AZ. She said the majority of the people have a much greater opportunity of moving up by going into general practice in outlying areas.

Archived