urinary retention + females

I would look 1st at what meds the pt is on. often in women it is an rx side effect in the 1st place. treating one rx side effect with another rx is bad medicine.....also in elderly folks this tends to lead to more "confusion issues" thus the common concept of the "drug holiday" when starting with a new eldely pt. it is amazing how many "chronic probs." go away when all the rx side effects are not present.

this female is on various meds , and she stated that she "borrowed" some flomax pills from a (female )friend whose MD had prescribed this for her and it helped with retention problems.

I just was wondering if there was any evidence based medicine for use of flomax in females. I have done several searches and come up with nothing yet.

should work in theory as it dilates the ureter and urethra. we use it as part of our kidney stone protocol for the same reason.

kidney stone protocol for those interested:

in er : iv fluids/toradol 15-30 mg/solumedrol 125 mg/narcotics as needed

home: percocet/medrol dose pack/flomax 0.4 mg daily x 7 days for lower tract stones, nifedipine for upper tract stones/antiemetic as needed

• 4 years later...

Archived