What are my chances of getting into Western? Please let me know what I can work on

This is my first time applying to Western for their PA program to which I currently have

Overall: 3.1

Science: 2.93

Pre-requisite: 3.53

Community Service: 2,838 hours (From 2001-2011)

I am currently re-taking Microbiology (received a C at my University for the first time) at a J.C. which ends in 2 weeks and I will be finishing out with an A which would bring my Pre-req GPA to a 3.73 yet I'm not sure how it would affect my overall and science GPA's. I obviously need to work on my science GPA but is there anything else I can do to become a stronger, serious candidate? I have faith I can get in maybe, if not this cycle, then the next which I plan on taking a few psych classes to build my science GPA. Also as a side note, within the 2,838 hours I've also shadowed an Orthopedic PA if that helps for about 40 hours.

This is my first time applying to Western for their PA program to which I currently have

Overall: 3.1

Science: 2.93

Pre-requisite: 3.53

Community Service: 2,838 hours

I am currently re-taking Microbiology (received a C at my University for the first time) at a J.C. which ends in 2 weeks and I will be finishing out with an A which would bring my Pre-req GPA to a 3.73 yet I'm not sure how it would affect my overall and science GPA's. I obviously need to work on my science GPA but is there anything else I can do to become a stronger, serious candidate? I have faith I can get in maybe, if not this cycle, then the next which I plan on taking a few psych classes to build my science GPA. Also as a side note, within the 2,838 hours I've also shadowed an Orthopedic PA if that helps for about 40 hours.

hi, i'm a first year applicant also. have you applied already? i also plan to retake my microbio class, can i ask what JC you're taking it right now? thanks

Your application is fine, however it will not set your apart. Your CASPA application, personal statement, and interview will be key. Shadowing a PA is definitely a plus, and make sure you talk about that in your interview. Let them know you know what a PA is, and have realistic expectations of what it means to be a PA. Good luck.

Yeah I don't wanna sound stupid, but I didn't know Behavioral Sciences counted as part of your science GPA, I thought your direct sciences only counted, A&P's/Micro/Chem/Physics, etc... When I talked to Western they said some of my earlier college level Psych's and Child development classes that I received C's in helped lower my Science GPA which they suggested retaking those courses.

Your application is fine, however it will not set your apart. Your CASPA application, personal statement, and interview will be key. Shadowing a PA is definitely a plus, and make sure you talk about that in your interview. Let them know you know what a PA is, and have realistic expectations of what it means to be a PA. Good luck.

I don't necessarily have much of any HCE, just shadowing a PA but I have almost 3000 hours of community service from 2001-2011 and I can honestly say I feel incredibly confident about my personal statement (after rewriting it 5 times and having 8 professors along with 1 Princeton student review it).

Does anyone know how military friendly this school is? And how big of an impact it has on admissions? I am hoping that, although it is not required, that my healthcare experience military and civilian may compensate for my grades, which meet the standards but are not stellar. Most of this is due to the fact that I've worked and gone on a deployment during undergrad.

Archived