Students starting the program in August 2012!

Hey guys. So I will be starting Duke in August of 2012 and wanted to see who my classmates would be. I also wanted to see if anyone started a facebook yet. How are you guys preparing and have you started looking for places to live? I am from the northeast so this is a BIG move for me! So excited to meet everyone in the class of 2014!

Hi. I will be starting Duke this August too. There is not a facebook group yet, but we should start one. For housing, there is supposedly a packet regarding housing that will be mailed to us in late April/ early May. It is an advise guide from former & current students. I am from California, so a big move for me too. Can wait to meet everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but any interview advice from those who have already been accepted? I was just notified of my interview on Feb 6th and I'm asking around for advice on how to prepare for it, the kinds of questions I should expect, etc. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Hi mafafa23 I was asked this question and here is what I told the other person! Hope this helps and good luck!!

Hi fa2008. So the first suggestion I can make is to purchase the Andrew Rodican book "Ultimate Guide to Getting Into Physician Assistant School." This book honestly helped me A LOT with my interviews! Use this book as a guide for you to fill in the answers. The book will give you some sample questions with possible answers. What I did was make note cards and made my own answers using the books suggestions!

As for the day of the interview. The first part of the day you will be in a conference room with about 11 other people and you just get all of this information thrown at you (financial aid, etc). As for the actual interviews you will have two individual 15 minute interviews. For each one two faculty members will be present.

For these interviews I would not say that the style is strictly "behavioral." In comparison to some of my other interviews (which were ALL behavioral questions), they just seem to want to get to know you. They are going to ask you about your coursework, maybe one or two behavioral questions, and about what you do/did in health care and outside of health care. (Nothing on health care policy - they don't want to know what you know, they just want to know who you are.)

For the group discussion session you will be placed in a room with 3 or 4 other applications. You will be given a scenario to read and then discuss. The instructors will in no way help with the discussion they just sit there and take notes. They also will not give any feedback during/after the session. The questions for this were ethical/behavioral. This, I found, was the easiest part because we just sat there and gave each other their time to talk. We all kind of bounced ideas off each other and it went smoothly.

But the best advice is to just be yourself. I honestly could not believe they even granted me an interview and remember that you are there for a good reason. Also know why you want to go to DUKE. I had an idea why I wanted to go there but it wasn't until those first 45 minutes that I realized this was where I wanted to be.

You will find out if you are accepted/denied in about a week. If you hear nothing then you are in the "maybe" pile. From what I hear they interview 12 people each day (4 are YES 4 are NO and 4 are MAYBE).

I wish you the best of luck and hope this info helps!

Hi there and Happy New Year!

My name's Megan, I am from Idaho, and I will also be starting in the Fall of 2012. I couldn't be more excited! : D Congratulations to the class of 2014... It's going to be a great ride. I will keep an eye out for a Facebook group, but in the meantime, I hope you are all enjoying the holiday season, and I look forward to meeting you!

Just got an interview invite today for 1/10! It's coming up very fast but I am really excited. I was on the interview "wait list" and that is why I got such short notice (thank God to whoever declined!) Anyways, just thought I'd share for those of you who haven't heard anything as there is still hope!

Archived