Redistered Dietitian to PA?

Hi, I am currently a junior in the dietetic program at the University of Kentucky. When I graduate I will have all of the prereq classes for PA school and will be an RD. I intend on getting EMT certified next summer. If I work as a RD and possibly a part time EMT for 2 years before PA school would this be enough experience? Also, my science GPA is around a 3.12 and my cumulative is 3.3, that will definitely be raised though. I am shooting for around a 3.4-3.5 science, as I have a lot of classes to take. Any suggestions on what I might be able to do in order to increase my probability of getting into PA school? My mother is an RN at a hospital where I live and can get me in with some great PA's to shadow, so hopefully that will help too. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Hi Keousi2,

I am starting a PA program this May, and my background is in dietetics. I worked for WIC for a few years and then left the field, but I believe that my experience there and also in a hospital setting helped me get in to PA school. The program I am entering values RD experience and I'm sure other programs do as well. My science GPA was 3.5 but my overall is the same as yours. Shadowing is helpful for your own good, but it doesn't count normally as experience. Working and getting paid as an RD will be gold! EMT can only help, but it may not even be necessary. Good luck, I hope that helps!

PA school is becoming very competitive so I would definitely work on getting your science gpa up. it is not an end all but the better your gpa the better off you will be. A couple of years as a RD and EMT is good experience and shadowing PA's in different specialties is a great idea too. Sounds like you are on the right track to make yourself a competitive applicant. Good luck with everything.

I'm an RD who recently got accepted into PA school. I practiced in the field for 8 years before deciding to PA school this year. I applied to 1 school, accepted and excited to start. My science GPA was 3.5, overall 3.4 but I think it was the solid professional healthcare experience that served me the most. Good luck to you.

Hi, I am a Registered Dietitian and I was just accepted into a program. I called the programs to see if my time counted as "driect patient care" which it did for all of the schools I applied. You might want to call the programs you are considering and ask the average healthcare hours for students accepted. That would probably be your best bet as each program is different.

• Administrator

Keousl2, compared to most people who start posting here, you have a great handle on things. Your plan is realistic and takes into account the time and effort to put together a good portfolio of skills, experience, and grades for a PA school application. Best wishes executing to your plan!

I'm an RD also and just got accepted into a PA program that starts in September. I had two years experience working as an RD before applying. If you work in a hospital as an RD all of your hours count as "direct patient care" which is very helpful! My science GPA and overall GPA was a 3.5. I would definitely work on getting your science GPA up though. Good news is that nutrition classes count towards your science GPA so that will be helpful (I assume you have many science/nutrition classes left if you are only a junior). Sounds like you are on the right track. Good Luck to you!

Yeah I do have a ton of science classes to take, most are nutrition, but I do have a few bio classes left to take for my bio minor. Also, I plan on retaking my anatomy and physiology classes because I got c's in both. It is really encouraging to hear that so many people successfully use RD as a transition into PA school. Thank you for all of your help. If anyone has anymore suggestions or more similar success stories that would be great! :) Thank you guys!

• 9 months later...

goldmanrd, congratulations on your acceptance! I am also an RD with 8yrs experience (I have been a certified diabetes educator for 2 yrs, also), and similar GPA undergrad and grad. I have 1 interview Friday, and have applied to 3 total programs. May I ask where you were accepted?

I'm an RD and am awaiting to hear back from the only school I applied to... I think the contact we have is pretty good and especially being able to follow the progress of your pts throughout a hospital stay. RD's review charts, labs, and meds.... and of course do counseling so we have that bedside manner as well! I think it's great you want to be a PA, but remember to be a Registered Dietitian you have to do about a 1 yr internship before you can practice and pass a national exam... so make sure to factor that in too!

Also, my science GPA was 3.3, but most of those good grades came from nutrition... just make sure you are consistent with the CHEM and BIO classes since those would be the classes you would be taking in PA school, which in my case I think I could've improved on and may be my downfall! ahhh! lol

• 4 months later...

Hi! I have networked with several RDs who became PAs, who feel that our healthcare experience was great for the preparation of the demands of the PA school. I recently met (face to face as they are in my town) 2 RD's who went right from undergrad to PA school. I do not know what their healthcare experience was during undergrad. I, on the other hand, was not accepted to the only school that is feasable for my family situation, as Iam a single parent with a young family, even with 18 years experience as a dietitian and 13 years as a certified diabetes educator, but, its ok, I have applied again, and this time I just know they will let me in!

• 1 year later...

Currently, I am a Nutrition Student as well going for the RD credential. For some time, I have been contemplating on also becoming a Physician Assistant as well. If I have both credentials, will I be able to run lab work on my patients if needed along with providing nutritional services? Is there any specialty that combines both Nutrition and Physician Assistants?

Archived