Clinical Experience?

I'm looking into the requirements of PA programs at UTMB and Baylor but I cannot find any information regarding clinical experience that many sites details as a prerequisite of any PA program. As a freshman in college, I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get into a PA program within Texas. If clinical experience is indeed required, how bad is the stress of balancing work and school? What medical job is ideal for a full time student? If possible, I would love to hear personal stories over this subject. One last question regarding the stats of the UTMB PA class over the pass few years. Is the female to male ratio of the PA class a reliable source of representation of the overall PA population? I was really shocked to see how much of the PA class is female populated.

Hey mdnguyen, I am currently waiting for schools to respond to my application so I can give you some insight. Firstly, I volnteered at a hospital in high school to gain some experience then continued after I graduated with my bachelors degree. I took a leave from volunteering in undergrad to focus on school and work for a bit. I also did some shadowing of PAs before applying which gave me an idea of what a PA actually does and such. The key thing in undergrad is to maintain a good balance of good grades and extracurriculars. Joining a pre-health organiztion at your school may help as well. You would get to meet classmates who are in the same situation as yourself and yall can trade information. As for PA school being mostly females that is just the way it is. The majority if not all PA schools in Texas and the nation consist of mostly females. I am not sure why though. I hope that helps! Best of luck to you!

Mdnguyen, As far as the prerequisites go- clinical experience isn't 'necessary' but some form of patient contact is expected, preferably with a PA. I was just accepted into UTMB's class of 2014, and I have ~200hrs of shadowing experience, and a slew of volunteer hours. I haven't worked in the medical field, but I have shadowed a PA weekly for the past year. I also volunteered in an ER for a semester, and I've done my own research for a year. The admissions committee will look at everything. There isn't one thing that will get you in. I have a 3.59 GPA, I made a C in Immunology, and my GRE score was a 1050. I didn't think I had that great of a chance of getting in the first time around with my scores.

It is definitely a good idea to join some organization at your school- I'm a member of Tri Beta Biological Honors Society, I'm in the Honors Program, and I've held leadership positions within the organizations I am a part of. It wasn't easy balancing everything, but if you take on more responsibilities in steps you'll get use to it. Freshman year I joined organizations, I got use to attending events and balancing classes, sophomore year I took on officer positions, junior year I started the proposal for my research, got funding, supplies, and tweaked my methods, senior year I'm wrapping everything up and getting ready to present my research. I was always able to take 15-17 hours of classes, but I never had to work. I know some friends who work as medical assistants, phlebotomy, lab assistants, crime scene techs, and pharmacy technicians.

From what I hear, working in the medical field doesn't replace shadowing experience. Schools really want you to be familiar with the PA profession. If you really want to be a Doctor, then you really don't want to be a PA. Schools want students who have the motivation to be a PA, will complete the program, and who will pass the PANCE the first time around. The more experience you can get the better. As for the female: male ratio, that is just happenstance.

Best of luck to you! If you're starting to prepare this early by the time you're ready to apply you'll be at the front of the pack.

Hi Mdnguyen, I figured I would throw out another perspective on HCE. I also am going to start at UTMB next summer. Personally, I find that my HCE will be critical for my success in a PA program and as an actual PA. I have 7,000+ hours as a clinical dietitian in the ICU. I work with PAs everyday and through these interactions, I determined that this is definitely the right profession for me. FYI...I have 0 shadowing hours.

I think working as a CNA would be very beneficial and fairly doable during school. I know lots of people recommend working an an EMT, but I don't know enough to speak on the ability to do that during school. Also, you could consider taking some time after you finish your bachelor's to accumulate HCE and really decide that being a PA is right for you. I think I personally feel so strongly about HCE, because I didn't have the drive to become a PA until I actually worked with them.

Obviously, the responses you receive are going to be personal and vary quite a bit. It is difficult to determine the right road to take with schools when they don't have minimal hours of shadowing or HCE laid out. Schools probably do it this way to make sure you want to do this, are prepared, and that you're not just checking off boxes on your application. I work with a PA who graduated from Baylor, without any HCE prior to the program, and others that were RDs and RNs, prior to their PA programs, and they are all great. I think it goes to show that various programs want a wide range of applicants in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

the ratio varies from school to school, but i've heard more than once that more females are accepted than males (especially young males) because guys straight out of college simply aren't mature enough to handle the double-full-time course load of pa schools. now, obviously its not true of all guys. its just what i've heard.

Archived