Wilderness Medicine rotation

Hi all,

I am interested in doing a wilderness medicine rotation, and was wondering if anyone on here has researched it/done one/know of someone who has done one and could point me in the right direction. I found the WMS (wms.org) website, and there are some helpful links there, but it seems as though a lot of them say they are specifically for med students.

Any thoughts?

Thoughts about the rotation? As a self proclaimed tree hugger and former wilderness paramedic, I think it would be a blast. However, the practicality of it may be a little skewed. Rotations are basically a year long job interview. To optimize the bang for the buck I think the time/energy/money may be better spent on more of a core focus. The pay off for doing a wilderness medicine rotation would be to perhaps get hooked up on a cool expedition. The pay off for a good rotation could be a future job offer.

Med students get twice the time to learn what we need to know as PAs. They can afford a bit more goof off time.

That being said...I do plan to work towards my FAWM once I get into the working world. I am of the opinion that wilderness/backcountry medicine has a HUGE application to disaster response and that is an arena I would like to be involved in.

So the practical side of me says "do another cardio/ortho/internal med/behavorial med rotation" while my not so practical side says "just go do it"

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the responses!

I ended up finding one at Yellowstone, and will be there next summer. Just Steve, I went through the same dilemma that you mentioned, but the faculty at my school really encouraged me to go ahead and do it.

In my life before PA school I worked in the outdoor industry (ski patrol, raft guide) and am looking for a foot in the door to do wilderness medicine and/or disaster medicine in the future. So hopefully it will be worth it in the end!

E

Thanks for the responses!

I ended up finding one at Yellowstone, and will be there next summer. Just Steve, I went through the same dilemma that you mentioned, but the faculty at my school really encouraged me to go ahead and do it.

In my life before PA school I worked in the outdoor industry (ski patrol, raft guide) and am looking for a foot in the door to do wilderness medicine and/or disaster medicine in the future. So hopefully it will be worth it in the end!

E

Archived