www.paworld.net = JOBS

once again, depends on location.

one of my students last yr wanted to do em and found a place paying 110k with full benefits as a new grad but it is in BFE. they couldn't find anyone with experience who wanted to work there so they had to offer the same salary for a new grad.

in a metro area with lots of pa programs and lots of new grads expect to make 10k or more less than the avg as a new grad. I would say as a rule never take less than 75k unless the job is 100% perfect in every other way. I make good money now but for a 100% perfect job I would take a 10-15k/yr pay cut.

see this thread:

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/showthread.php/8651-quot-perfect-job-quot-minimal-acceptable-salary?highlight=perfect

I wonder if the proliferation of a younger PA grad with limited to no life experience is a factor in accepting lower starting salaries. If someone goes from high school to college to PA school with very little life experience in a career orientated job market they may not appreciate their worth. Not from apathy or desperation but from just the simple fact of not having any comparison. The younger grad may also be more willing to take a less paying job if they have not yet saddled themselves with a spouse, kids, mortgage and the like.

If the most money they ever made was during the summer break as a MA then numbers like 60 or 65K/yr sounds really nice. As an older student...taking a job at 65K/yr for a full work week would be a step back in salary for this former paramedic....now 65K for a 20 hour work week...that's a different story.

The rule of not accepting anything less than 75k for the first job should be written in stone. It really bothers me when I read about new grads accepting jobs at these kind of salaries. I was offered a job at a peds office starting at 65k with $500 for dea and 2 wks PTO. I also wasn't able to take these 2 weeks together at a time; they needed to spaced out within the yr. I love working with kids and the location was great, but I turned that offer down right when I heard it.

There is a BIG difference in a new grad and a PA with say 7 years experience in a field. We in general don't do residencies as a profession, so that first 5-7 years IS our residency. Docs, hospitals and staffing agencies know this. That's why the new grad might have some trouble landing the big money right out of school. Experience makes you more valuable to an employer. It lets you work autonomously and that is huge. It saves them a lot of money.

Can you please post the AAPA Salary Data? I don't have access to it...

Hey people

AAPA is an agency you should be a member of and if you are you can get the entire salary survey for $20 (if you did it last year)

I used to send the reports around to those that asked for it but then I stopped doing this as it is undermining the AAPA - they work hard to get the data and YOU should be a member and supporting the national organization (don't flame me as I am at time very unhappy with the AAPA but if you do not join them you had best be doing something else to advance the PA model and protect our jobs - since I don't have the time or energy for this I join AAPA and my local state chapter)

join AAPA, pay for the report - if you hate AAPA then don't gripe that you can't get the report

heck most of the info is on the advance web page anyways and a fair amount of it is public on aapa.org

sorry to those that Hate AAPA - but we gotta stand up and be counted as a singular profession and I know that AAPA has dropped the ball many times in the past - but to do nothing and gripe about it is worse.....

As a PA student up in Canada I'm finding this very interesting. Up here we are still really in the pilot stages of the profession with federal funding paying for most of our wages (although a few graduates are being paid completely by their SP). The big talk is what we will be paid once the government stops the funding (hopefully after our class grads). So far it looks like 80-90k a year for our grads but some have made more with per diem work etc.

Archived