New Prospective PA Links Library

We've been working really hard on what we call our "Links Library" project. In a nutshell, you choose one of the following link libraries depending on where you're at in the PA journey: Prospective PAs | PA Students | PA Educators | Practicing PAs.

Then, you're provided a list of categories that are applicable to you. Click on a category and you receive a nice list of PA information specific links based on that category with descriptions of why each link is valuable. Additionally, we have a form where users can suggest additions to the link libraries.

I'm really excited about this project because there's nothing like it out there! No where else can you access this much information about the PA profession so quickly. It's still in BETA but you'll understand how valuable it is when you check it out. Will you guys take a look for me and provide some feedback? Here's a link to the Prospective PAs library: http://physician-assistant-ed.com/links-and-resource-library-prospective-physician-assistants-pre-pas/

David Payne PA-C

Program Director - University of Charleston PA Program

Founder and President - www.Physician-Assistant-ED.com

[url=http://physician-assistant-ed.com/links-and-resource-library-prospective-physician-assistants-pre-pas/][/url]

Attention anyone reading this, please provide some feedback. I'm not sure if people realize yet just how useful this resource is regardless of where someone's at in their PA career. So again, I urge people to check it out and provide feedback: http://physician-assistant-ed.com/links-and-resource-library-prospective-physician-assistants-pre-pas/

David Payne PA-C

Attention anyone reading this, please provide some feedback.

Sure...

Did you clear this with THIS site's owner...???

Cause it seems kinda odd that you would start a thread intended to direct traffic AWAY from this site... without FIRST mentioning that it was blessed by this site's owner.

Sort of like setting up a flashing Burger King sign in a McDonalds dining area...

But hey... just MY perception which really means nothing in the grand scheme of things here.

YMMV

Contrarian

Contrarian, I appreciate your attempts to police the Physician Assistant Forums. However, please know that I have a great working relationship with the site's owner Mike (it appears you didn't do enough homework to realize that I blog for PhysicianAssistantForum.com) and know for a fact that he would not have a problem with me promoting a FREE section of my website that is so helpful for the Physician Assistant world. Both Mike and I value and prioritize moving the profession forward ahead of any interests for generating revenue.

Dave

Contrar...

I asked for feedback on the links libraries, not for feedback on whether you felt it was appropriate or not for another member to start a thread on a subject you haven't yet contributed to. Now, if you would like to contribute to the actual topic that I started, please do so. If not, please keep off this thread.

Dave

Dave...

You asked for "Feedback"... YOU got it...!!!

Now if you don't want "members" here to post-reply to open-and-public threads... then you should consider sending PMs to those YOU would like to see reply... and since you somehow for whatever reason think YOU get to choose their reply... you should probably include a script in those PMs.

Contrar

Contrar...

You STILL haven't contributed to the topic of this thread. Quit wasting everybody's time. If you feel like you have to have the last word then send me a nastrygram via private messaging but stop breaking web forum etiquette. Such a simple concept... contribute to the topic or stay off the thread.

@ICRob0351, thanks for the feedback on the links libraries. It's still in it's infancy so if you have any ideas for improvement, please let me know :)

Attention anyone reading this, please provide some feedback. I'm not sure if people realize yet just how useful this resource is regardless of where someone's at in their PA career. So again, I urge people to check it out and provide feedback: http://physician-assistant-ed.com/links-and-resource-library-prospective-physician-assistants-pre-pas/

David Payne PA-C

By way of actual feedback as originally requested regarding your site: It seems like the organization of the site is very user friendly. I like the fact that it is easy to navigate due to the lack of clutter. One of my website pet-peeves is having too much thrown at you all at once. I think you have found a good balance on the home page. The links section is also well organized and easy to navigate. I think you have built an excellent resource here.

Re the website: I really like it. I clicked on links for pre-PA (I'm nostalgic for my own pre-PA school days) and PA student. All the links worked and were informative. I also appreciate the simplicity without the scripts and things that are distracting and make pages slower to load. I also like that you have made it so easy to submit useful websites. How will you be maintaining the site (making sure links are current, finding new sites, etc)?

@vaston Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

@Michigander I have some software that will allow me to check on the links consistently. I'm hoping it works out well. I also have some other team members that help me to maintain the site in general. We will be working on protocols to make sure that things stay updated. Another thought is to utilize the website members. Perhaps I can throw a link up that says, "report broken link" or something to that effect. Do you think most users would take the time to report a broken link in an effort to maintain high quality?

To everybody: Thanks for the great feedback, please keep it coming! Also, if users in general think the link libraries are worthy, please ask the moderator (scut-monkey) to make this a sticky post so all pre-PAs coming to the site will have exposure and easy access. Of course I'm biased so I don't feel comfortable asking for this to be a sticky post.

David Payne PA-C

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone thinking about checking out the new links libraries, just wanted to quote a few lines of feedback I've received:

"I started looking at the Link Library on my 30 minute dinner break.... I lost track of time! I can already tell this is going to be an extremely valuable resource!! Thank you so much for putting it together!"

"I LOVE LOVE LOVE the links section!!! so incredibly useful… thanks for all your hard work on this!"

Please check it out and give me some feedback - http://physician-assistant-ed.com/links-and-resource-library-prospective-physician-assistants-pre-pas/

I'm especially interested in suggestions for improvement!

-Dave

Two things: first, I feel that when you click on a link it should open in a new window. I clicked on one topic thrice before I thought to scroll down; I thought it wasn't doing anything because my screen didn't appear to change. Second, I probably wouldn't sign up for an account because I'm just not sure it's necessary. I have enough online accounts without adding another to access information that can be found without it. (Perhaps not all in one place, but I did plenty of research before knowing of this site or yours.) Also, for myself, I found it beneficial to do that research. I've read several posts on both forums where people just ask for the answers without doing any of the work themselves. I think, in a career like medicine, people should have a bit of ambition and probably some research skills.

I'm not against your site, just explaining why I am not likely to use it, especially when I am already a member of this forum.

Thanks for the feedback l.a. I think you're right, perhaps it should be structured to where it's easy to recognize that you're on a different page. I put an explanation video at the top but there's not guarantee that anybody is going to click on that. There's a chance that people click on a category and think the page is broken even though it switches up the list each time you click.

By the way, research skills are definitely important to have and people should definitely be willing to do investigative work themselves. I believe however that there are so many resources nowadays that it can be a real time consumer, especially for students in the midst of a rigorous program. Plus, many of these links are just the start to investigating for more. None of them are an end in and of themselves.

Archived