How long does it take to get DEA in Calif?

Hello everyone,

I am a new grad and I have a job offered at a private clinic, however, I just applied for a DEA# a few days ago online. How long does it usually take to receive it? I saw online they say "4-6 weeks". I called the office in Los Angeles and they said "2-4 weeks". My classmate got his in 1 week in NY. I won't get paid until I get my DEA#. They said I can start training w/o pay :(

Thanks!

NEVER work for free

no other industry try's this gimick

if they want you to work then they gotta pay you - and you HAVE to have malpractice insurance so they have to make and employee out of you anyways sounds like a less then ideal practice is they are trying to save pennies by not paying you and at the same time you are a new grad - good luck

Thanks for your advice. Just because I'm a new grad it doesn't mean I'm dumb. These people want me to work evenings, weekends, and holidays. It's a peds specialty and paying me cheap. I said I won't come in until I get my DEA# and they don't seem to be happy about it. I have another place for an interview. I hope this new place will be more reasonable. (I felt so lost after PA school- thanks PA Forum)

All I can say is that I would be VERY hesitant to work for a practice like that. If this is what they think is fair and an appropriate way to treat you this early into your career with them.... I think you will be in for a very rough time there. Keep your options open. Do not settle. You have dedicated several years of your life, time away from your family, and not to mention thousands of dollars invested in becoming a PA- to settle on a mediocre job. I am a new grad as well, and being a PA is TOUGH.. until you get settled and comfortable with your skills. You need a supportive environment with an SP that is willing to take a moment to teach when needed. What are they going to do when you make a mistake? How supportive will they be? Some things to think about. Good luck to you.

Congrats!!! Just to echo what ventana said, I would also encourage you to ask for a copy of the declarations page of your malpractice policy B E F O R E you touch a patient. I also would NEVER take a job that doesnt pay for training time. You potentially expose yourself to way too much liability to do it for free. Good luck with your Job Hunt!!!

• 1 year later...

Archived