Hi everyone,

This is my first time applying to PA school, straight out of undergrad (I'm 22). I have been rejected by 3/5 schools so far, and although I want to remain optimistic about the other 2, I also want to be realistic. I'm thinking that one of the major reasons I have been rejected is due to my GPA (3.13 cumulative, about 2.75 science). If that is the case, I know I could benefit by retaking some classes (slash taking some more classes such as genetics and biochemistry that would increase my range of possible schools to apply to), but I'm wondering what the reaction would be by adcoms to an online course. I'm working 2 jobs and unless I quit one and rearrange the hours of the other, it's just not possible to add in a class or two. I live in MN and the University of MN offers both an online genetics and an online biochemistry course. Would this be a feasible means to obtain those pre-reqs and possibly boost my GPA? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you so much!

-Laura

Yeah I have over 2500 HCE hrs and have shadowed multiple PAs and have volunteered for 4 different orgs over the past 4 yrs. We could discuss that further but honestly what I am concerned about is whether or not I can take an online class. Swooshie, thanks, I'll have to check into it I guess!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Erose
      Hello all!
      I am sure there are already several similar topics already on here, but I am struggling to find them. I am wondering if anyone has compiled a list of schools that do or do not accept online anatomy and physiology courses if taken during quarantine. I have checked the websites of several schools that make no statements on how their prereq requirements have been altered in response to the pandemic. If anyone has any recommendations I would be very grateful.
      Thank you!!
    • By itskimchi
      I'm looking into PA school requirements and have seen that most require Human Anatomy & lab, and Human Physiology & lab. My current university (UCSD) only offers a Human Physiology lecture course. Most of the city colleges I'm looking into in order to fulfill this pre-req only offer Human Anatomy or Human Physiology as a single course of lecture and lab, rather than having separate lecture and lab courses. Do PA schools accept lecture & lab combination courses or do they want each lecture and lab to be a separate course?
    • By caroline2021
      I am graduating this summer from undergrad at UCONN. I faced some personal issues during my sophomore year that caused me to take the spring semester off, and I probably jumped back into a full course load too soon because I struggled to get passing grades the returning semester and into the next year of school. Ultimately my GPA really suffered and I went from a 3.7 down below a 3. I am working to boost my gpa as much as possible before I graduate, but I know this will be the real cause of issue while applying to PA schools in the future. I have already accumulated over 1000 hours as a CNA in assisted living and hospital settings and I will have much more by the time I do apply. However, I know the real red flag of my application will be my horrible GPA. I am currently looking into applying to get a masters degree in biology or something in hope that it will show that I am capable of handling the rigor of PA school. If anyone has any suggestions on what major to apply to grad school, if this is even a beneficial idea, or anything to help I would greatly appreciate it. 
    • By LOLfPAschool
      So my particular PA school uses the PACKRAT to determine if students are ready to take the PANCE or not at the end of clinical year (this is new and never counted like this before). This year's most recent PACKRAT version national average is apparently a 167, 20 points higher than the last 3 averages on PAEA's website and 40 points higher than last years national average of 128 (according to my PA school). They have informed us that if we do not get within the 2 point standard deviation, they will not allow us to take the PANCE until we reach an adequate grade on the PACKRAT. Can they legally do this?
      According to PAEA, the PACRAT can be done open book so these scores are skewed and shouldn't count for my class.
      There is nothing in our program handbook about the PACKRAT being a requirement for graduation.
      PLEASE HELP!!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More