PA program in South Africa?

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Do any of you know about graduating from an American PA school and moving to South Africa to work? I would love to be able to spend a year+ around my family in Cape Town. I just want to be assured when I grduate in 2013 that working and earning money there would be an option.

Thank You!

It is not terribly difficult to get authorization to practice in South Africa at this point (although like many bureaucracies it can be time consuming). One applies to the Health Professions Council to practice as a Clinical Associate. There are a few American PA's there now as well as some grads from Uganda, Malawi and Tanzania. As the profession is quite new (there are only 23 grads from WSU at this point) and the need is so great, the regulations aren't terribly restrictive. Pretoria and Wits gradute their first cohorts in December which will bring the total to about 100 in the country. Having said that, the programs aren't "accredited" like we think of accreditation. I wouldn't get too excited about earning money as the ClinA was "designed" to work in the public sector at the district hospitals and are paid about the same as a nurse.

Archived