Writing thank you letters, but.. forgot one interviewers name!

Whats the ettiquite for writing thank you letters?

I interviewed with the director of admissions/clinical education and two other professors, only one of whos name I remember. I was also taken on a tour by the director of the program.

I want to write thank you letters, but feel bad leaving the professor out. Should I forget it? Just write to the Director? Write to the Director of Admissions as well?

I derped I know.

What should I do?

Also, I checked the website for faculty, and either shes not listed or no names/faces are ringing a bell.

You could call the school and ask them if they know who you interviewed with. Say I interviewed with Person A, Person B, and I can't recall the name of the last person - would you happen to know? That's what I did when I was in the same situation and the administrative person was able to tell me the last person.

I had a tour from a program director too...I sent a thank you since she tied up part of a day showing us around. There was also an admissions person (non-faculty) who apparently set up and ran the schedule all day long. I sent a thank you just because I'm sure it was a lot of work and it was done very, very well.

Is there any chance that the faculty member you can't remember came from another department? I found contact information for one of my interviewers by looking through the directory (turns out she is in the Biology department). I know it's probably daunting to look through all of those names, for other departments but maybe something will jog your memory?

If all else fails, maybe you could just contact the program and ask who it was...I would think that forgetting a name would be forgivable given the stress you're under at an interview. And caring enough to ask just seems like the right thing to do...over just not sending a thank you.

Or you could just send a note to the program director thanking him or her for the interview and ask her to pass along your thanks to the other participants. 

They will probably have already ranked you by the time they get a note anyway. You're really just doing it to be nice.

Or you could just send a note to the program director thanking him or her for the interview and ask her to pass along your thanks to the other participants. 

They will probably have already ranked you by the time they get a note anyway. You're really just doing it to be nice.

That was my only intention. It was my first interview and they made it very enjoyable. I think I'll go this route.

Archived