Need to take an advanced biological science, suggestions?

I just found out that I need to take an advanced biological science course before starting school in September. I can choose any course that pertains to the human body (i.e cell bio, genetics, parasitology, neurobiology, virology, etc.)

I want to take a course that will be most relevant and helpful to me in PA school.

Any suggestion as to which course would be most beneficial is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I took cell biology and genetics. To be honest with you, cell biology was the most fascinating course I've ever taken and it really gets you understanding how the body works at a very basic level. Genetics was also interesting because you peer into the biologic make-up of every human being at a coded level. Both very intriguing courses and would suggest either one of those two. The other ones sound good too, maybe neurobiology would be a good one to take too. I don't really think you can go wrong, as long as you fulfill the pre-req. Also, any of the courses will get your mind back into the "scientific mode" so I don't think you'll regret taking any of them. :)

Im taking a medical biochem class now which is great! I also need to take the class online (my location now) and it has to be at a four year college... University of Phoenix has a genetics class which sounds good (adjk1229, you seemed to enjoy it!). They also offer immunology and an advanced human biology class. I asked to schools to send me detailed syllabi of classes.

Thanks for the advice...Im going to have to do some research as to where I can take them online. A lot of the schools listed in the "online class" forum page were from community colleges. I had university of phoenix email me the syllabi and I wasn't crazy about them. There are a lot of papers and I feel that much of my time will be focused on the one or two topics for the papers; I would rather learn and be tested on all the material than have a few discussion questions and a couple very specific papers.

Has anyone taken any of the classes online?

I could technically wait until this summer but figured right before school, there will be many other things that will need to be taken care of.

Has anyone taken any of the classes online?

I took immunology through UC Berkeley extension. It is expensive (around $1000 with textbook) and the teacher was very harsh with grading and amount of work required - but I learned a lot. A word of caution though - you must be very independant (the teacher is less than helpful when it comes to answering any questions you have on the material) and you must be willing to put in A LOT of time. I have never worked so hard for a B+.

+1 on immunology. I'd pick cell bio or genetics next if immunology isn't offered.

I took two quarters of biochem in undergrad... not very helpful in PA in my opinion. You don't really need to learn about protein structures and the intricacies of metabolism in PA school (although I have heard you do in med school). Not sure why so many PA programs require it as a prereq.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived