Rx Pads - liability and advice

If there are any of you out there not doing EMR and still using Rx pads to write prescriptions, I have a few questions:

1. Where do you keep the Rx pads in your office? Do you keep it with you during the day when seeing patients or is it at some other "secure" location in the office that you access when you write prescriptions?

2. Do any of you work at satellite offices? How do you handle Rx pads there? Do you take them with you each time you go or do you keep them there in a secure location on the days the office is not open.

I'm asking these questions because I work in a specialty office with many satellite offices. I work in one office on Mon. and then don't return to that office until Fri. and go to the satellite offices the other days of the week. I learned today (initially through a staff member no less) that providers would now need to keep the Rx pads on us and be responsible for transporting them from office to office. This was a decision by our office manager. After talking to my office manager she no longer wanted to keep the Rx pads in a secure location at our check out desk because she did not want to accept the liability if something happened to them. We have had the same systems for years and have had no problems which the office manager verified today. I pointed out to her that she is simply transferring that liability to each provider in the practice but she is very ok with that. I also pointed out that now the 4 providers (1 SP and 3 PAs) will have to find a secure location for the pad during the day but she offered no suggestions. We don't have locked desks and I am not thrilled about having to carry it with me all day. I am also very uncomfortable because I feel very liable carrying the Rx pad to each office on different days of the week and of course I have to keep it at my house each night since I am working at different offices. We will be getting EMR next year but it will still be probably 5-6 months before that happens and I will have to deal with this situation until then. BTW, I work in Pennsylvania. Do any of you know of any laws/rules that discuss Rx pads and security in PA?

I'm just wondering what any of you do and if you can offer any suggestions or advice about carrying this Rx pad with me each day.

Thanks.

We are emr but I still carry paper scripts with me. I don't worry about it and leave them sitting on a desk and take one when needed. Some in my pockets as well, some in the car, some on the bedroom, kitchen, laundry...... Yeah pretty much everywhere. It is not illegal to posses scripts, just to steal them and forge them. Sorry if it is a nonchalant answer but for the past ten years I have one had one pad stolen about yr two. Pick your battles, if it is important fight it, if not just roll with it. You could voice your own incompetence with keeping track of your scripts to the office mngr and that way if you loose some you could say " told you so "

Sounds like you need a new manager...

Is this practice owned by the providers, or part of a big medical group where the providers are pee-ons like everyone else & all decisions are made above the providers heads? If it is owned by the providers then she needs to do what you guys want her to do as long as no regulations are being violated. If it's owned by a group, then she may only be enforcing new policy from corporate admin folks.

Either way, it's more likely that things will go wrong if providers are left on their own to figure out where & how to secure their rx pads. Someone will forget or get sloppy, & they will go missing.

I work in a private practice with one SP and several PAs. We definitely need a new manager as the above example is just one of many ways on a weekly basis the manager makes life miserable. But that is not going to happen and for now I am just trying to deal with the situation at hand. Thanks so far for the responses. Perhaps I should start a thread on how to deal with difficult managers?:heheh:

I work in a private practice with one SP and several PAs. We definitely need a new manager as the above example is just one of many ways on a weekly basis the manager makes life miserable. But that is not going to happen and for now I am just trying to deal with the situation at hand. Thanks so far for the responses. Perhaps I should start a thread on how to deal with difficult managers?:heheh:

I have fond never confronting them, just doing my job the way I want it done, pretty easy - say sure I will carry my pad's around, then leave them all over the place - let her figure it out. If you are a small office and only a few providers they are not going to fire you over it..... a little passive aggressiveness goes a long way

Hahahahaha.

I have fond never confronting them, just doing my job the way I want it done, pretty easy - say sure I will carry my pad's around, then leave them all over the place - let her figure it out. If you are a small office and only a few providers they are not going to fire you over it..... a little passive aggressiveness goes a long way

Archived