Interview Tips

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been through 8 interviews total. My first cycle I had five interviews. I decided to follow some of the advice handed out on this forum. I did little preparation, went in with the attitude that I

Well, based on below, you know AAPA has its eye on our site. we certainly address all of these issues. - MG   FROM AAPA LINK GIVEN BY SCUT-MONKEY: Q: What are some current events facing the PA prof

Just thought I'd leave some notes on interviews since I went to so freaking many of them!   Firstly, interviews can actually be pretty fun, so honest to god please don't get yourself too worked up o

Few questions about attire for women: is a 3/4 sleeve black suit jacket appropriate or considered casual? non-collared blouse okay? and leave the suit jacket buttoned or no ?

maybe these are trivial, but just thought i'd ask

I wore a 3/4 sleeve grey suit jacket. It was hot outside and I felt silly in a longsleeve suitjacket.... I didn't feel out of place or anything. And I wore a non-collared blouse, as long as it is dressy enough, I say go for it! I would definitely button the suit jacket, but thats just my opinion!:)

• Administrator
I recently interviewed at a program who will be making their decisions shortly (within 2 weeks). Should I send out email thank you's considering they probably would not receive my thank you by mail until after they've made their decisions? If so, what should I put as the subject?

If they've got two weeks, I'd go with handwritten and snail mail'ed cards. If it's the week (or even the Monday...) following your interview, I'd go with email. If you do go with an email, I'd make it something clear like "PA Admission Interview on (date)". Regardless, do something. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, what is the best way to answer this question (or another similar ethical question):

If your busy supervising physician ordered a dosage of drug you knew to be incorrect, what would you do?

thanks for the input!

If you catch a mistake, you correct the mistake. Physicians are humans also, and as humans, we all make mistakes. Bring it up to the physicians' attention and question it.

No offense, but that question should have been a no-brainer.

In regards to ethical issues, just think first and foremost of the patient. How would you feel if you were that patient?

I have tried, but it almost seems like a secret. I am usually very good in finding things online where most come to me and say, "can you find this for me?" LOL :p This has me stumped :rolleyes:

Honestly? I just did a mock interview for my friend .. like a month ago and that's where I found my questions.. try again.. it really isn't that secret.. they want to get to know you.. so what questions do you ask someone like on a date when you want to know more about them.. you'd want to know like what they do, what they like, what their motivations are in life, etc etc.. you'd probably also wanna know general things like.. why are you so awesome and not the person sitting at the next table eating sushi.. blahblahblah. If you really can't find ANY.. try going to SDN.. I don't recommend looking too much at their site but they have some questions for premed folks going on interviews and honestly the concepts are not THAT far off.

It's not a secret.. we just don't like to give folks too much of a leg up on this sort of stuff.. everyone gotta do their hw.. otherwise it's like we are helping some folks cheat or something. Not that you're trying to cheat or anything like that..but when I talk to some prospective students that come to visit our program.. and they ask me what i got asked at the interview vs what can I do to up my chances cuz I really wanna come here.. etc... I get a little offended almost. Anyways, keep up the search and try SDN or even like job interview questions are helpful.. there aren't always specific questions they are going to ask. Also, go back to the program's website and really know why you chose them.. this is always important for you and to them!

Keep your friends close but your enemy closer.

Honestly? I just did a mock interview for my friend .. like a month ago and that's where I found my questions.. try again.. it really isn't that secret.. they want to get to know you.. so what questions do you ask someone like on a date when you want to know more about them.. you'd want to know like what they do, what they like, what their motivations are in life, etc etc.. you'd probably also wanna know general things like.. why are you so awesome and not the person sitting at the next table eating sushi.. blahblahblah. If you really can't find ANY.. try going to SDN.. I don't recommend looking too much at their site but they have some questions for premed folks going on interviews and honestly the concepts are not THAT far off.

It's not a secret.. we just don't like to give folks too much of a leg up on this sort of stuff.. everyone gotta do their hw.. otherwise it's like we are helping some folks cheat or something. Not that you're trying to cheat or anything like that..but when I talk to some prospective students that come to visit our program.. and they ask me what i got asked at the interview vs what can I do to up my chances cuz I really wanna come here.. etc... I get a little offended almost. Anyways, keep up the search and try SDN or even like job interview questions are helpful.. there aren't always specific questions they are going to ask. Also, go back to the program's website and really know why you chose them.. this is always important for you and to them!

• 1 month later...
If they ask you "what are some negatives of the PA profession", how should you respond? I know we should always try to turn a negative into a positive, however, if they directly ask you what are the disadvantages, I'm not sure what the best answers are...

The best answer would be the truth.. don't be afraid to tel them how you feel ;) but obviously you want to do it with tact. Good luck on your interviews

Guest Grognard
If they ask you "what are some negatives of the PA profession", how should you respond? I know we should always try to turn a negative into a positive, however, if they directly ask you what are the disadvantages, I'm not sure what the best answers are...

Many laws are written as if only physicians exist as clinicians. NPs and PAs are not allowed to perform certain tasks due to the wording, something like providing care in a workman's comp case, or conducting a physical exam of a HazMat driver. 50 states, 50 different sets of laws, an infinite set of ways of forgetting to include other clinicians besides physicians.

You will ALWAYS be supervised in one way or another. You will NEVER (unless they change the rules) hold a true specialty because you can't sit for board certification. You will NOT have the earning power of a physician based on your license but you can still partly own your own practice - as long as you can get a physician partner or hire one to provide appropriate supervision. Some patients won't see you as a "real" clinician and not want to have anything to do with you. Some physicians won't see you as a "real" clinician and not want to have anything to do with you. Some ERs might limit your practice to primary care - no trauma for you, no monitored patients for you.

If you are driving down the road and witness a motor vehicle collision just what does your scope of practice allow you to do since you are NOT within supervisor range? A BLS EMT has more authority than a PA. Unless you live in a state with something like California's Good Samaritan law your hands are most likely tied.

You may not be able to write scripts for some meds. Check out what Michigan says:

When writing a controlled substance prescription, under the delegated authority of prescriber, mid-level practitioners must use their supervising physician’s controlled substance license as the basis for the prescription.

So, you can see, being a PA is not good for the independent and ambitious minded person.

So

For me, one of the negatives would be the fact that my scope of knowledge may never reach that of a physician's. PA's training is similar to that of a physician's, but the truth is that they go much more in detail about everything that PAs will learn in school. Not to mention, med students get 2 years of clinical rotations plus residency so physicians get more practice in seeing clinical cases than we do before being set free. BUT for me, I can combat my limited scope of knowledge by continuously keeping myself up to date on current health care issues, new research, and new technologies. (I like JAAPA and NPR). So even though I may never know as much as a physician, at least I know that I can continue to expand my knowledge be reading, listening, speaking with co-workers, etc. Plus, I can ask my SP :)

Another negative I see is the fact that most people have no idea what a PA is or does. When I worked in an ER, I noticed that no matter how many times the PA would tell the patient that they were a PA, the patient would continue to call them a Doctor. I currently work as a CNA, and my patients/patient family members always ask me, "so are you going to nursing school." I always respond by telling them that I am going to be starting graduate school this summer to be a PA and then I ALWAYS ask, "do you know what a PA is?" If they tell me no, I will surely take advantage of the opportunity and educate them!!!

That's just my opinion. Now don't use my words in your interview!

PS If you were to say "So, you can see, being a PA is not good for the independent and ambitious minded person" in your interview, I don't think that would go over too well. Be honest, but please be sensible as lzypanada said. Not to mention, I don't necessarily agree with that statement. I am independent and ambitious. I think being ambitious is absolutely necessary to want to work in this profession. But that's just me...I'm not even in PA school yet, so what do I know ;)

FSUnoles-

Really!? I thought that was a pretty obvious answer. Well, let me tell you what you should not say. At one of my interviews a girl had said something like "well, I would go to that student and see what was going on. Maybe they had an excuse to cheat. Maybe there was something going on personally and they just didn't have the time to study." So, I hope that you can see that this is not the ethical thing to do. Just think about this: you are in PA school taking an exam and you notice a student copying off your exam the entire time. For some bizarre reason you ignore the fact that a student was cheating off of your exam. So what would most likely happen next is that the professor would notice you and another student have the exact same answers. Well that professor is going to come to both of you, and most likely, you will both deny cheating. So you both fail the exam, course, whatever. YOU BOTH FACE THE CONSEQUENCES OF CHEATING. Now I am not going to tell you what you should do, but I think from the information I have provided, you can figure it out! ;) Just do the right thing! I feel sorry for anyone who cheats in PA school...how pathetic! If you cannot handle PA school, how are you going to handle being a PA!?

Guest bmshah

anyone have any tips for butler university...this is my first interview ever this saturday and super nervous!

i hear they ask a lot of situational and scenario questions but don't know how to exactly answer them.

help!!

• 2 weeks later...