I'm so sorry, here's your claim ticket to (malpractice) compensation???

The interview question is "If you made a mistake as a health care practitioner, which caused permanent harm or death to your patient, how would you deal with this patient? Family? How would you deal with this mistake professionally? Personally?"

Simply enlisting the use of malpractice insurance as a means of compensation, and stating that as humans we are all prone to mistakes seems short-winded and unempathetic.

Any ideas or feedback and which direction to take this question to make it sound...humane?

Good, I like the direction you took. Thank you.

Perhaps a response geared around that would run like this: "I would first reflect on how I, as a patient, or family member of a patient, in a situation like this would want the PA to respond; and that is with kindness, empathy, and humility - refraining from njustifications or minimizations of the mistake, but rather, admitting it wholeheartedly; then working with the patient and/or patient's family every step of the way to provide information, resources, and quality assurance, even support. I would expect him or her to re-visit the case and pinpoint their mistake as as to be prepared to avoid such mistakes in the future. I would also expect the PA to file a detailed report while all the facts are fresh in his memory. As human beings, we are all prone to making mistakes at one point or another, but the first and most important step in restitution is admitting your mistake. Also, a little humility goes a long way in a case like this."

THoughts???

In a way, it takes the focus off me personally, and avoids the topic of malpractice insurance altogether!

Dr Buckman has some great videos that show how to handle medical errors...while you should be honest with your patient you also have to be careful about how you accept the blame as it could destroy any defense you may have incase youre taken to court....very delicate balance

With that said, they arent looking for you to have the perfect answer, you simply need to show that youre capable of developing an answer that makes sense and shows that you can be empathetic, professional, ethical and responsible

Archived