Answering "what you'll do if not accepted" when you've been accepted

Hello! At the three interviews I have been to this fall, I've been asked what my plans are if I am not accepted to PA school this year. I have answered that I will continue to work, volunteer, take classes that are applicable to the study of medicine, call the programs that rejected me to find out what else I can do to improve, and reapply. At this point in time, I am fortunate enough to have been offered two seats at schools that I am happy to attend, but I have upcoming interviews scheduled at my top-choice programs. If you were in this situation at the top-choice interview and asked the "what if" question, would you say that you have submitted a deposit at a program to secure a seat but are at this interview because it is the program you most desire to attend, or would you continue with the previous (now untruthful) answer? Thanks for your opinions and input!

HHmmmmm good question. I like the direct approach, like the one you have in mind. If I was interviewing you, and you told me you have already laid down a deposit, but was willing to pay the expense of coming to the interview, and willing to eat the deposit you already laid down for a chance to attend "my" school, I think that would impress me. It shows you would be a strong advocate for "my" program and do your best to do well. Not to mention the fact that happy alumni tend to contribute back to the school after they get a steady income.

That being said...I am just a lowly PA student...good luck to ya

I was asked that during my third interview and was like, "Yikes! Is that a bad omen?!" (No, I was accepted.) I responded similarly in that I would try to discover why I was deemed a not-good fit for their program and then work on those lacks as I continued to learn and work.

My #1 choice was my 5th interview. They did not ask me that, but if they had, I like the direction PAMAC goes with his second option about being eager to start a career, but really wanting this program.

Good luck! Keep us informed. :)

I like PAMACs 2nd statement as well.....it shows that you while you have acceptances, you were willing to spend the additional funds to interview with them....it supports any statements you make during the interview of why you would really want to attend that program. It also shows them that you must be a good candidate if two schools are willing to give you a seat. Just be forewarned that it also tells them that should they decide to pass on you, then youll be ok as you already have a seat somewhere

Obviously there are more pros than cons with them knowing you have acceptances

I was asked this question at an interview after being accepted elsewhere. I said that I had fortunately been offered a seat at a school already; once they heard that, they were more interested in how committed I was to attending their school than what my back-up plans were.

It's like dating - you need to make the school believe it's the only one for you, while in the background you both know you're a desirable hottie who could have anyone you want. Makes them want you more, as long as you're not a jackass about it and are genuinely pleased to have the opportunity to choose the best school for you.

It's like dating, but in a different way. You want the prospects to think you are desirable and everyone wants you... But do it classy. Girls never seemed to want me unless I already had a girlfriend.

BINGO!!!

Luckily the question seems to be theoretical in nature, so even if you have been accepted elsewhere, you could still answer what you would do if you hadn't... and then refer to the fact that you actually have been accepted.

Safe answer --> I would find out why I was rejected, retake some classes, gain more HCE experience and re-apply

Ballsy answer --> I was already accepted to a program, however, this program is my top choice and I would gladly forfeit that seat if offered one here

I took the ballsy answer based on advice on this forum and it paid off for me. Good luck whichever "strategy" you use.

I agree with the ballsy answer- I interviewed on Monday with a program and they asked in my interiveiw where I had gotten interviews and if I was accepted. I told them the truth and at the end of the day the director of admissions pulled me aside and offered me a seat. I have no doubt it was because I have already put a deposit on another program.

Wanted to say thanks for all the replies! If I get asked this question again, I'll definitely tell them the whole truth, especially since I applied to 16 CASPA programs so they'll all know that. I don't think it would reflect very well on me to have applied to so many and not be accepted yet! :) (This forum scared the bejeezes out of me because I am not a perfect applicant, and I was incredibly worried about getting interviews, hence 16 applications!)

Archived