Getting offered a job as emergency clinic PA...but am I ready?

Honestly, if you graduated from a PA program and feel like that I wonder what the issue with the program is. I would have expected that this type of thing would have been tested multiple times throughout your clinical rotations, OSCE's, etc. Written assessments are not actually "doing it" and if you had no assessments involving actually "doing it", I'd put some onus on the program for graduating someone who obviously can't do it.

Pat

Yes, also my thoughts. OP...what PA program did you attend?

Might be off topic but I totally started laughing when I read tiddly winks. Good stuff. Have you ever thought about going into a residency program? Might help you get some more training as I can understand anxiety and feeling overwhelmed as I myself am a recent new grad. However I don't mean to sound rude but simple stuff like colds and minor problems should be relatively easy to pick up on after your first couple. This could be dangerous when you start picking up more complex or atypical presenting sxs of something more complex. Just keep in mind that this is not a jab you but a wake up call. The last thing you want is a legal battle on your hand for something that could have been prevent.

MODS

can we address the verbal abuse and unprofessionalism that 'medman2007' is dishing out?

This was his reply to me from a PM which I typically would not post but he is just so inflamatory he should be banned

Originally Posted by ventana Ur recent post on new grad who is struggling was a horrible mean post. If this person is struggling as they say u just did real damage. Remember the saying. If u don't have anything nice to say. SHUT UP

three words only:

GO **** YOURSELF!!!!;DD.png

his close mindedness and insults do not belong as part of this forum

Ouch! It's time to go back to your corners and cool down. Yes there are times to get worked up and there are times to hold one's tongue. I do have a problem discerning them sometimes myself. Let's focus on trying to solve problems not creating or worsening them. Back to the regularly scheduled pleas for help.

OP...it sounds like you are dealing with performance(or other) anxiety issues. It may be worthwhile to do a little searching for a local psychiatrist that utilizes cognitive behavioral therapy and is big on using it(versus just handing out meds). There is no shame in seeking professional help and it seems like you're in a situation that could greatly benefit from it.

I am 5 yrs out of school and in the same job. My employer has given me great evaluations every yr. I do well in clinic and have a good reputation in the community. STILL I have the same battles in my head. I do not do well being pimped. If someone asks me straight out I can't answer. Not that I don't know the answers. I just freeze. We now have a new Dr in our practice who likes to pimp. Your self esteem and confidence have taken a big blow. Make notes. Study every night get a good ER/primary care book. Look up everything. Do you have notes from your rotations? I had a pocket drug book and filled the back pages with what to prescribe when, etc. when I started my job I kept a document in my phone and constantly added notes. A page for each supervising. Also I would go after hours and look at admit orders. Made notes on what to do when, etc. I used this a lot the first few years. For my first night on call I had a pre printed order sheet with everything imaginable written in the columns stuck to the side of my fridge because I knew waking from sleep I would need help. It just takes more effort in the beginning. You made it through school, they give you a frame to work from. You have to fill in the rest. Hope these ideas help. Good luck

Archived