Athletic Trainer interested in PA

Hello-

I am am currently practicing as a Certified Athletic Trainer. I received a BS in Athletic Training and a MEd in Health Education. I have been practicing 5 years in the professional sport setting. GPA in undergrad was a 3.5 and 3.8 in grad school. I am in the process of looking into PA schools but wanted some insight from the forum on how my experience/ education stacks up. Thanks!

Hello-

I am am currently practicing as a Certified Athletic Trainer. I received a BS in Athletic Training and a MEd in Health Education. I have been practicing 5 years in the professional sport setting. GPA in undergrad was a 3.5 and 3.8 in grad school. I am in the process of looking into PA schools but wanted some insight from the forum on how my experience/ education stacks up. Thanks!

You would be a shoe in! Do it!

I definitely say go for it. It comes down to what you want and if you believe you can do it. I've let doubt rule me for a long time and it just got me more frustration. Schools look for a level of clinical maturity and an understanding of the field. You have an orthopedic background which will help....maybe not all the pathophysiology but you will learn that. Strength, conditioning and rehab are essential and I think coming from the other side and going in gives you a unique advantage in understanding the human body (if you choose to go Ortho).

Best of luck!!

From one athletic trainer to another... DO IT! I have been a certified athletic trainer since 2005 and I did my graduate assistantship at Arizona State University (majored in Higher Ed Administration.) After attending 2 large conference schools (completed undergrad in the Big 10) I realized that slaving my life away as an ATC for minimal pay and minimal respect was not what I had signed up for. I love being an athletic trainer, but for me, the rewards do not equal my sacrifice or dedication to the profession. When I finished grad school I worked in sales/marketing and realized that I wanted a real profession where I could be respected for my knowledge and where I could do great things for other people. So for the last 3 years, I have worked at a high school (definitely NOT where I thought I would be as an ATC), but it has allowed me to take my pre-reqs for PA school. I was accepted last summer and I begin in January!

I know there are many schools who are not "ATC friendly," but there are many who value our backgrounds as an allied health profession. I, personally, know 5 ATC's who have gone the PA track and they love it and were successful in school. Just contact the schools you are interested in and you'll get a feeling right away if they respect your background or not. I know that Midwestern (in AZ) loves ATC's and I was told personally by their program director that the former ATC's who have gone through their program were great.

It sounds like you have a great GPA and plenty of experience to propel you forward. I wish you the very best of luck in finding the right program to fit your needs. And I promise that hard work and dedication will pay off!

Archived